SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wv4square

A Family Heirloom of Sorts (Curved Glass China/Curio Cabinet)

wv4square
15 years ago

Hello,

My wife and I recently received an antique cabinet that belonged to my late grandparents. It sat for decades in their dining room, which is where I fell in love with it as a kid.

Being that my Grandparents were almost like a second set of parents to me, I knew that I wanted something truly grand to remember them by. They'd always indicated that they wished me to have this piece, as I'd always taken a special interest in what most people saw as "the old cabinet in the dining room".

It was finally moved into our house yesterday, after three months of trying to find a skilled antiques mover, and now we're starting to wonder about it and wish that we knew more about its history and the possible age/origin of it.

What I DO know is that it has been in the family for several decades, most likely more. My Dad remembers it being in the house since he was born (over 50 years), and it had been in the family long before. The furthest we know is that it was previously owned by the three siblings who raised my grandfather (they took him in at 7 years of age, he passed away recently at 85). As an added twist, they were McCoy's, quite possibly relatives/descendants of the famed fueding family.

Based on the photos, what would you guess in terms of age, style, or even place of origin? Ultimately, it will be a treasured, important piece in our home if only because it had belonged to some of the most important people in my life, but it'd be neat to be able to learn a little more about where it might have come from.

Thanks!

Comments (4)