SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parkie37

Bosch SHX45MO5UC Not Cleaning Properly - Frustrated

parkie37
12 years ago

About four years ago I started reading posts here for a new dishwasher. I had followed lots of threads about other appliances and had been happy with our purchases, especially our Viking 30" gas range.

One day while walking through the local Sears, on the way back to the car, I noticed that they had a Bosch dishwasher on a 48 hour sale that was quite a deal. It is the SHX45MO5UC and was $1400, on sale for $1000. I could take the floor demonstrator or I could wait for a new one, which would arrive a couple of weeks later. I opted for the new one.

My wife hates it and has always hated it : ( Here is why.....

The bottom rack won't go into the machine unless it is PERFECTLY lined up. We have owned other brands over the years and not had to be microscopically accurate in our lining up of the lower rack. Almost every time, you hear a small crash, a curse and then a slower sliding in of the rack. Sigh.

Approximately two thirds of the time we have anywhere from 3 or 4 items up to half of the items have a film of tiny little bits of food or scum on our glasses. The white dinner dishes don't generally show this problem, but perhaps it is just harder to see.

Two sets of folding tines on the lower rack have lost their clips, so they tend to fall over or cause dishes in that part of the lower rack to fall over. I have put the cutlery holder in that location to hold them in place. We haven't purchased replacement clips because my wife doesn't like the DW and doesn't want to keep it.

The design of the tines is so close that we have a hard time fitting items properly. Having the ability to fold them down doesn't add any flexibility as you have to now have an item that fits in that small space created by the folded tines.

Like so many others before me, I am tired of thinking of the $500 Maytag that did a better job than this one. I can adapt to the different loading, even if I do admit that I hate this style of loading. I do love the energy efficiency and the quietness. I don't care about a small bit of water around the rim of Tupperware as a flick of the wrist into the sink gets rid of 95% of the small amount of water.

I just don't understand why we can't have every dish clean! We have tried all sorts of detergents. We get the best results from Cascade 'Stain Fighter Plus' with Jet Dry Turbo Dry rinse agent.

I have removed and cleaned both spray arms. No improvement.

My wife wants to sell this one on Craigslist and buy a Whirlpool Gold/Maytag/Kitchenaid, that wouldn't set us back too much. What do I mean by that? Perhaps $500 more than what we could get for this dishwasher.

I have been reading about people being unhappy with GE, Whirlpool, KA, etc. It leaves me feeling that we won't be able to find a good dishwasher! (No Mieles for us - too much to spend with two daughters approaching university age).

We had a service call years ago and were told that it was working properly. Seems like it shouldn't constantly leave a film of scum or small items, especially in the upper rear, right hand corner.

Any suggestions?

Comments (27)