SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudijane_gw

my tv is not too loud, neighbor says it is

trudijane
16 years ago

This message may already be on here, but I may have made a mistake.

Part I

My neighbor complained to me that my TV was too loud and "we" had to do something about it. I have perfect ears, and often find myself straining to hear my TV and hear his over mine. I also went over to his townhouse to see what he was complaining about. Yes, you can hear a dull speaking sound but loud? Originally my speakers (have no surround side and am a very quiet person) were on hooks on our adjacent walls for acoustics, decor, and more space. So what I did per his request was take the speakers off the walls and bought a pair of $80 speaker holders so they would not be on the floor.

Part II

Several months went by, and he told me that he'd been meaning to tell me for a long time that my TV was still too loud. Again, I went next door to hear what is too loud, and I could barely hear anything. I like my neighbor very much, but he's very rigid in his ways and likes complete quiet when he is in his living room. I don't have parties; he does. He does tell me when they are coming up, but talk about noise on those nights that go well into the night! sometimes at times that were not convenient for me. Like the night my brother died and I had to listen to his party all night.

Anyway, let me get to the point. He was away for a week on business. I'm on disability so one of the few pleasures I have right now is catching a good movie at night. Sometimes, when I go upstairs, the sound doubles during a commercial and I find myself killing myself to get downstairs as soon as I can to adjust the sound. Simultaneously...I hear those 3 knocks which are beginning to bother me.

I wrote him:

IF my TV continues to bother you, particularly after 10 O'Clock, or otherwise,

1) I going to continue to be aware of noise levels, and if I have to strain to hear my own TV, and you hear noise, enough to complain about, then I will continue to be as courteous as I can to keep it down. If I'm upstairs for a few minutes and the noise escalates during a commercial, I will get downstairs as soon as I can to turn down the sound. If a particular movie is on that I want to hear with a little bit more sound, I will let you know, just as you let me know about your parties and noise, and hope you don't mind.

2) I don't think my sound level is high most of the time, but I am a night owl and often I forget that. I figured you would have been fast asleep by then or at Diane's.

3) If that doesn't work, I suggest getting 2 neutral parties, and have them check the sound level that bothers you both at my house & yours to get an objective opinion as to what they think. Possibly noone we know.

4) If all that doesn't work, I am willing to compromise by wearing earphones (with wires) because the salesman at House Of Music told me that wireless is nice ut tends to pick up other activity in the area. They are also cheaper. They had them there, I tried them on, and on a not so hot night, I would not mind wearing them all the time, and you won't hear a thing. I already compromised with decor and costs for 2 speaker stands, so I think it would be fair to split the cost of the earphones. He did give me a price there (about $220) -- perhaps I can find out the brand and you can see if they offer the same item at Bestbuy or whereever.

I think these are fair suggestions.

=======

This is what he wrote back:

Im back. These are all good ideas. Let´s discuss soon.

I´m not sure if I agree with the recommendation about the wired vs.

wireless, but we´ll find out.

The only thing I would thing he could possibly disagree with re speakers is a technical opinion about wired vs. not OR even worse, he things that I should pay for the speakers which are $200 which ordinarily I would not get because it's HIS problem that is bothering him and it is far more nice to watch a movie with your own ears than earphones!!!! I'll find out soon, but I have other priorities that are just too important.

I've been here through 2 other neighbors and noone has ever complained about my noise. In fact, it was just the opposite and all worked out. Somebody please tell me you feedback.

Thanks alot.

TN

Comments (21)

Sponsored
    More Discussions