SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alibon_gw

My new apt. is horrible! Help me!

alibon
17 years ago

I just moved into my own apt. two months ago. It's the first time I am living alone; I wanted to not deal with roommates and have peace and quiet since I work full-time as well as going to school part-time. The apt. is in a really nice area and I am able to afford it because it is a basement apartment and includes utilities. Upon moving in, I heard there was a family that lived above me with a three year old but my thoughts were "Great- they wonÂt be partiers and will be in bed early". But I didn't think about the noise that would travel to my apt. from the three year old constantly running around and jumping. I understand that children run around a lot so the main problem is that there is little or no insulation between our apartments because I hear stomping and thumping ALL THE TIME! Luckily, they donÂt stay up late but the other week, two days in a row, I heard them almost all day consistently. IÂm at the point where I wear earplugs and have the bathroom and kitchen fans on every time I am home. But I can STILL hear the thumping. It sounds like someone is hammering on my ceiling. I avoid my house before 9pm (when the kid usually goes to bed- but sometimes heÂs up until ten and the parents are not that quiet either).

The other thing is that I specifically asked my landlord if there had been break-ins in the building since I was concerned about living alone on a ground floor apt. He told me that there have not been any. But I found out from two neighbors that there have been 3-4 in the past couple of years (one early this year) and one was into my present unit!

I wrote a letter to my landlord telling him I know that thereÂs been break-ins and that I want him to put bars on the backdoor window of the building, which leads to my apartment. This is where the burglar broke in last time. I also documented that the noise level from the apartment above is far beyond average. I have not heard from him at all.

Basically, I want to know what my rights are and if I am able to break my lease based on these complaints. I am also researching whether or not my basement apartment was a legal conversion. If it is not, I can get out of my lease easily but if it is legal, I need another way out. Please help me! I cannot live here for a year!

Comments (9)

Sponsored