SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
truegrits

Tantalizing Haviland marks...

truegrits
18 years ago

Hi, y'all! I've just recently discovered this forum and have so enjoyed 'lurking'. I've been reading old posts and learning a lot! Since you're obviously a very knowledgeable group, I'm hoping someone can help me solve The Great China Mystery. :)

My Haviland has the following backstamps:

* H & Co. -- In green underglaze. Since the initials are underlined, this would indicate it was produced in the period between 1876-1880, right?

* Depose -- This word (also in green underglaze) appears directly underneath the 'underline'. Okay, first question. I haven't seen any references to that on the websites that discuss markings. My high school French was pretty shaky even when I was in h.s. Many years later, the only vestiges that remain are of the "oui" and "merci" variety. lol So does "depose" just mean "for export" or something?

* Decorator's overstamp -- There's the double circle that looks like a Lifesaver mint, with "Haviland & Co." and "Limoges" stamped in. According to the info I've found, this would also date it to the period 1876-1880.

The pictures I've located for pieces made during this time frame all show a stamp that's blue. For a later period, it was changed to red. BUT...mine is gold. So, second question: Is there any particular significance to that?

* Date -- It's dated 1882-1888. Weirdly enough, the charts on markings actually skip over these particular years. So I guess my third question is, why is that? And the fourth is, why an 'inclusive' date? I can understand it being dated 1882...OR 1888...OR any year in between. But why 1882 *dash* 1888? Did they just arbitrarily decide on the front end that that's how long they'd keep the pattern in production? Surely there has to be a more reasonable explanation -- but I've wracked my brain and can't come up with one. (Btw, the dates are not stamped. They're handpainted.)

* Artist (?) -- Signed by T. C. Latreyte. Like the date, it is in black. Question #5: Anybody ever heard of dude? Also, I would definitely describe it as a signature, as opposed to a stamp. Passing your hand over it, you can feel that it's 'raised'. So I would pose Q #6 directly to lindac: Did this guy actually use his paintbrush to 'autograph' my china -- or am I just fantasizing here? :)

* Inexplicable info -- Okay, between the artist's signature and the date, there's another line that I can't quite decipher. It definitely says "28". And that is followed by an upper-case "D". There are 2 lower-case letters after that. The first might be an "l", or maybe a very fat "e". The third character is so faint that maybe it's just a symbol or a squiggle.

If you've stuck with me thus far, let me just add that I wouldn't be on such a 'mission' to identify just one plate or one cup and saucer. The thing is, I have a whole set of it. A very extensive set! It's beyond beautiful, and it has huge sentimental value. If anyone can provide information, I would be most grateful. It would just be so neat to know something about its' history! (And, yes, I've contacted the Haviland Collectors' Society -- twice. No response.)

TIA for any clues...

truegrits

Comments (3)