SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bennvenn

Tomato growth stunted

BennVenn
9 years ago

Hi everyone! My first post here.

I've decided to grow a tomato plant indoors, under grow light in coco coir on a hydro type setup. The plant is about 6 weeks old now and has been grown under continuous lighting. I assumed that I could grow it in a smaller than normal pot as it was being fed nutrient and water on a regular basis. The last week and a half the growth of the fruit has completely stopped, the flowers are not producing fruit and the younger leaves appear wilted. The plant is developing new clusters of leaves every few days.

I've noticed the roots are starting to break the surface. I believe the plant is expiring more moisture than it can absorb through its roots, so fruit development has stopped and the leaves furthest from the roots are being starved of water.

I have read mixed opinions on re-potting at such a late stage, as well as pruning. I'd rather leave it in its current pot and find an alternate way to fix this problem.

My question is, will trimming limbs reduce the water loss, and perhaps improve fruit growth? Or will it stress the plant too much?

Should I just re-pot and hope for the best? If I do re-pot do I break up the root structure first? Very new to all this!

The tomato is a Grosse Lisse and has been fed on 'Ionic Growth' hydro nutrient with added potassium nitrate to boost leaf growth. I've since cut the nitrate out of the solution to try slow the leaf growth.

I've put pictures up at http://bennvenn.com/Tomato.htm

I've also got lettuce, cucumber, passion fruit, beets and herbs in there and they're all going great!

Comments (3)