SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodysapsucker

36" induction cooktop with bridge

woodysapsucker
10 years ago

So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top cooktops that have a bridge. The KitchenAid KICU569XBL and the Jenn-Air JIC4536XS. Does anyone else know of a different manufacturer that makes a 36" induction with a bridge element? My husband makes fabulous breakfasts using our current bridge with a griddle so I'd love to keep that feature in our next cooktop.

For those of you that have a KitchenAid or Jenn-Air induction - do you like them? Any repair problems with either of these induction cooktops? Consumer reports didn't rate Jenn-Air's repair record very well so I'm wondering what you all have found.

I really appreciate your input.

Comments (105)

• kaseki
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My impression, and it should be confirmed in person or by finding a video that (intentionally or unintentionally) answers the question, is that you can have a maximum of two pans on one side. Allowable arrangements would be, labelling one side's hobs 'a' through 'd,' front to back:

(1) a small pan on 'a,' or a small pan on 'b,' or a larger pan straddling 'a' and 'b,' and any one of:

(i) a small pan on 'c'

(ii) a small pan on 'd'

(III) a larger pan straddling 'c' and 'd'

(2) The mirror image of these cases

(3) A pan straddling 'b' and 'c'

(4) A pan straddling 'a,' 'b,' 'c,' and 'd'

kas

P.S. I think the bullet organizer (unordered list) button below has problems with hierarchical lists. I'm sorry to have to admit that MS Word does a better job.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Brief highlights of the Frigidaire (Electrolux) Gallery "36-inch" induction cooktop as a replacement for the 2007 Kenmore (Electrolux) 36-inch induction cooktop.

The Frigidaire unit installation literature (generally identical to Kenmore and Electrolux literature, all of which fail to name the manufacturer or the specific units that they are supposed to represent) still shows the cooling air moving from back to front above the counter. But instead of a slotted metal assembly under the ceram edge that lifts the ceram top surface about a half inch above the counter, there is only a thin gap under the ceram established by some sheet metal. The installer is directed to NOT fill this gap. It appears to me that air is pulled from the bottom of the housing and exhausted into the cavity between the housing and the stone. I have not yet observed air flow through the thin gap, nor can I imagine it could be significant. Because the gap is not tailored into the metal support structure as a grill like on the original Kenmore, shallower spills may find their way under the edge. Bosch's scheme of using a gasket is likely better (for twice the price), at least with the large volume that my configuration can pull air from.

All hobs operate, and for their size seem to have higher power than the original Kenmore. This is consistent with the hob power data in the table I provided in an earlier message.

This unit and its "Professional" Frigidaire counterpart use a cross inscribed under the ceram to designate the pan limits. Predominately, induction cooktops use circles. I wondered which I would like best. Notwithstanding whichever provides the best sight picture in a rifle scope, I think circles are easier to align to when the center is blocked from view.

It seems easier than in the Kenmore to see structure under the ceram when the ceram is illuminated.

Controls, while slightly different in appearance than on the Kenmore, function in the same manner.

In case anyone expected different, the unit is labelled Made in China.

The Frigidaire's primary benefit relative to other Electrolux models is
    that four of the hobs are smallish, and only one is large. DW preferred
    this configuration.

Tea tastes the same.

kas

• Related Discussions

Anyone have Kenmore Elite Induction cooktop?

Q

Comments (21)
    Well, the problem was not a relay, but a solder join that melted. Yes, the oven relay pole became unsoldered. A bit of solder and back to normal. This brings me back to a final comment. The technology is wonderful!. The stove is brilliant and safe. All homes in hot climates should consider this appliance. But, the board quality and manufacturing quality are where the problems stem from. The use of mechanical relays instead of solid-state switches, single layer boards for high current traces, not bending lead to increase solder area in high current spots. All these areas can easily be fixed and produce a superior, long-lasting product. This is why LG and Samsung have come into the appliance market and swept it. The USA manufacturers are too use to a monopoly and only care to produce a product that lasts the warranty period (was sure my case). Would I recommend it... yes. It is unique. What other stove can boil water in minutes, faster than any non-commercial gas stove, and at the same time place one's hand right next to the pot and be only warm. The stovetop always looks brand new, as it does not get that hot (no burnt-in oils). Also, the temperature range control can deal with chocolate and confectionery. Can you tell I do the cooking at home :o)
    ...See More

Induction Power Boost, is it a necessary feature?

Q

Comments (14)
    seb225: I'm wondering if something might be getting overlooked here? IIRC, the "Hi" power setting on at least some GE induction cooktops is a boost setting even though GE chooses not to use the term "boost." Download the "use and care guide" for your GE candidate. I'm guessing you might see something like this in the instructions: "HI is for large-quantity rapid boiling and will operate for a maximum of 10 minutes." That's would be a boost setting even though GE chooses not to use the name. My recollection (which may be faulty) is that some Bosch 30" cooktop models (800 series?) boost the largest burner to 3600 watts for 10 minutes and that the 10-minute "Hi" setting on the GE Profile 30" cooktop's largest burner is 10 minutes at 3700 watts. If that is so, then the difference on this point would be trivial.
    ...See More

No 36 inch induction ranges?

Q

Comments (3)
    In fact, there are some 36" and larger induction ranges --- you can custom order from the likes of French makers such as Lacanche. Obviously, $$$$$$. Beyond that, the problem is limited demand. Diva de Provence made 36" induction ranges for what, 5 years? They went bust. Consider how little demand there is for any electric range that is 36" or larger. I mean, Frigidaire has discontinued the 40" models which it used to make (and which also were sold as Kenmores). Brown Stove Works still makes a four-coil-burner 36" electric ranges which, I believe, are sold under the Summit brandname. Verona has (or had) a 36" five-burner radiant electric range ($$$). Heartland has an antique-look 48" radiant burner stove ($$$$ for the looking like an antique wood-burning cookstove). That's it. Seems to me that power supply requirements really do not affect this market segment very much. Those would be pretty much the same as you would need for for setting up a 36" induction cooktop over top of a 30" electric oven. Folks who want larger induction cooktop surfaces go that route which, I suspect, pretty much eliminates the market for larger induction ranges. Also, there really isn't much demand for residential 36" electric ovens, either.
    ...See More

Looking for reviews on Wolf induction cooktops.

Q

Comments (25)
    I usually start preheating the griddle before I start making my pancake batter. I think I preheat at level 5 or 6. I throw some water around and make sure it is sizzling good and I do a small test pancake to make sure I am good to go. Sometimes I do need to turn it down if the pancakes are too brown. I use it for bacon ( start cold with the bacon on the pan) or pancakes where I pre-heat. I am not a big griddle user. It does not overhang excessively. I am very happy with my wolf. For the $$ I think it is a very good cooktop compared to miele or Bosch Benchmark which were more $$. I very like the bridging 4 way flexibility. I didn’t even consider the thermador freedom - way too $$$ to be able to only cook 4 pots at a time. I have never had that kind of flexibility in my last 40 years of cooking so I don’t feel like I am missing much not having it.
    ...See More
  • HU-901293
    9 years ago

"A new Wolf 36 induction is coming out, CI365C/B."

We have just purchased the Wolf 36 C1365C/B for our new home and it's been up and running for about three weeks. It is the only flush mounted cooktop, I believe, and compared with Miele 36" at our previous house, it has significant advantages. Power control is more precise, the simmer setting is at a lower power level and doesn't burn the sauces.

All in all, a great product with no issues, so far.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

I considered the Wolf CI365B but it wasn't long enough to adequately cover the cutout sized for the previous Kenmore. I would have had an end overlap of only a sixteenth of an inch. webuser_901293, would you mind measuring the dimensions? Also please confirm for us that the granularity of power control is only 10 levels.
    kas

• pogomomm
    9 years ago

Did you mount the wolf induction flush into a stone countertop? I think that is the unit I will buy. I wonder if was a difficult installation? It would look great in a dark stone but I am not sure in a lighter one. Please post a photo if you can. I heard that more flush mounting 36 units are coming out soon. Looking for the GE cafe, profile and monogram. I think they are silver or greyish instead of black. Coming soon.

• HU-901293
    9 years ago

Pogomonn:

Yes, we did mount the Wolf 36”
    induction cooktop flush to the custom made quartz island countertop and we
    could not be happier with the result, both for functionality and the overall
    design. It is a dark coloured countertop, so your assumptions are correct.

The installation was dead easy (I
    helped the electrician) once the correct countertop was delivered. Two of
    the corners of the first counter top delivered had been over-milled by about
    0.25”, which resulted in a visible gap which was unacceptable to me. After
    e-mailing a photo to the owner of the countertop supplier, Cambria, he agreed
    immediately and without any argument delivered a replacement two days later
    which was perfect. The problem had been with the setup of the NC router, not Wolf’s installation drawings. An expensive learning process
    for him.

The cooktop itself could not have
    been simpler – it was a drop-in fit (make sure two men are available for the
    job, to avoid actually dropping it into the well) with about a one sixteenth
    inch clearance all around; this was filled with a special sealant supplied by
    Wolf. We could not be more happy with the whole setup and it’s a
    spectacular centrepiece of the kitchen.

The range hood was more
    problematic. We purchased a Miele 36” curved glass hood, which is a
    really nice design that does not obstruct the view across the kitchen, through the windows as much. Unfortunately, the first hood that was delivered was
    designed to fit in a kitchen with a 9’ ceiling, not our 8 footer (nobody asked
    about our ceiling height). For a mere $400 extra, Miele swapped it out with the
    correct model, with an adjustable exhaust height. It functions well, is
    reasonably quiet and the LED lights projected onto the cooktop surface are
    ideal for use while cooking.

All in all, a perfect setup for our
    house in which the open kitchen is always on display and open to inspection
    (and criticism) by the family foodies!

Tom

• BP Hansen
    8 years ago

I, too, am trying to find a flush-mount induction cooktop with bridging functionality. Right now I'm leaning strongly toward the Wolf CI365C/B based on the web site info, but I haven't had a chance to see it in person yet (apparently the Wolf showroom near me doesn't feel obligated to return my calls). As far as I can tell, it's one of the few 36" cooktops that allows for 5 pans and has bridging capabilities (and isn't getting the blow-back that I've also seen on the Bosch). I'd love to hear more from people who have actually used this cooktop!

I did just see a brand-new Miele flush-mount 36" induction cooktop with 5 places for pots and one double-bridging element (combining 2 hobs, not 4 like the Wolf) -- it was pretty slick, and it cooked nicely as well. Went from 1-10 for power, had timers on each burner and some other functionality that was a mystery even to the Miele chef (this was a prototype and he admitted he hadn't had time to check it out thoroughly). However, it doesn't sound like this will be available any time soon -- the Miele folks were told it would be available in April and now they've been told August. So it sounds like possibly it will be available in the fall, which is too late for me.

I also looked at some of the freedom cooktops; they are beautiful to look at but I just don't see why I'd get a 36" cooktop and then only be able to fit 4 pans on it. And I looked at Thermador (which has high wattage) and other similar cooktops, but no bridging options on any of those for things like griddles.

• jquigley3
    8 years ago

bphansen,

What do you mean by "blow-back" that you have seen on the Bosch?

• BP Hansen
    8 years ago

I had a chance to look at the Wolf tonight (but not actually cook on it) -- it's got levels 1-10 and no half steps. The bridging flexibility seemed pretty nifty and very flexible, but it also had a couple of things that I didn't like. In particular, there was a timer which turned the whole cooktop off, but it didn't control individual burners -- that seemed like a silly feature to me. The Miele prototype that I saw had timers on individual burners, which I liked a lot better. Additionally, on the Wolf, only the largest hob had boost functionality -- there was a second boost functionality which was for the bridging elements, but it wasn't associated with an individual burner. I didn't have a chance to try cooking with a griddle or other odd-sized pan, so I can't speak to how well it works compared to something like a freedom-style cooktop. I did like the new Wolf user interface -- you can basically slide your finger back and forth horizontally along the 1-10 controls to increase/decrease heat; it was easier to use than the older half-circle control with the +/- controls. I will say that of the induction cooktops I've looked at, I like the Gaggenau/Thermador freedom controls best, which are like using the "clock" functionality on an iPhone -- spin up to increase, spin down to decrease. At least one of these worked in 1/2 step increments (I think it was the Gagg but I may be confusing the two).

Oh, and by "blow-back," I meant merely some of the poor reviews referenced earlier in this thread. I personally had such poor experiences with my 2 Bosch DWs previously that I'm not looking at Bosch solely for that reason -- but that's just me.

• jquigley3
    8 years ago

Thanks for your good reviews bphansen. I plan to remodel my kitchen in a few months and I am very interested in everyone's experiences with their induction cooktop. I have to install my oven underneath this cooktop (small kitchen) so I have to consider which ones will allow me to do that. So, everyone, please keep the reviews and advice coming. Thanks

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

FWIW, I have a Bosch induction cooktop, about 1-1/2 years old. I also had to install my oven underneath the cooktop, and with my cabinets (Bellmont 1900 series) I found it difficult to find an oven that would fit. I ended up with a 30" European model (Fagor) which is shorter top to bottom than many of the American 30" ovens. The oven happens to be great, but I don't think they import the 30" anymore. Anyway, I would look at European ovens. Also, just as an aside, my cooktop has half-steps which I use all the time, and also has individual timers for the hobs, which I also use all the time (think rice and oatmeal, but it works for lots of things).

• BP Hansen
    8 years ago

@jquigley3 -- I'm also planning on installing an oven underneath, but I confess that I haven't done a lot of research on which ovens will fit. I think -- but am having a hard time deciphering the Wolf specs -- that the Wolf induction is 4-1/2" deep and requires another 2" of clearance from combustable surfaces.

I'm looking at 30" ovens, primarily the Miele M Touch series or the Gaggenau 480, but again, I haven't done my due diligence on sizing. My super quick perusal of the Gagg specs looks like it needs 26-1/2" cabinet cutout.

• PRO
    Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

bphansen, Hello! I'm Sarah and I work with Sub-Zero and Wolf. I'm sorry to hear that your local showroom has been unresponsive. If you'd like, please message our Sub-Zero and Wolf Houzz page directly with your e-mail and telephone number and we'll get you in contact with someone. I'm happy to answer any further questions you may have about our induction cooktops, as well!

• BP Hansen
    8 years ago

Hi Sarah, thanks for your note -- actually after I posted this, I finally got the Wolf/SZ experience center person on the phone, and miracle of miracles, that very night I talked to her, she was hosting their monthly supper club and had a cancellation. So I had a chance to see a chef cook on many of the appliances, and I was able to ask questions to one of the sales reps (unfortunately they weren't showcasing induction b/c apparently it's got a very small sales footprint compared to gas). And I got to see the 36" flush-mounted bridging model in person, turn it on and play with the controls, which was very helpful. Now I'm trying to decide between this and the yet-to-be released Miele, that has 2 burner bridging.

• PRO
    Kreative Touch
    8 years ago

Bphansen, I called Miele but was unable to get information on any future releases. What did you find out? When are they do to be released? Will the miele version of full surface induction be one of those released? Where did you get the information?

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

Bphansen, when the Miele is on, can you see the electronics under the glass? Has anyone had issues with a Miele induction top shutting off? DH says he saw reviews regarding that. I like the setup of the Miele to work with their range hood, but still looking at Bosch and Wolf.

• BP Hansen
    8 years ago

So for the Miele prototype I saw, it was at one of those Miele "experience centers" which have all of the Miele appliances. The prototype was installed and the chef there said it was testing it out for corporate. The one I saw was not full surface (freedom) -- it had 5 separate hobs, and the 2 hobs on the left side could be bridged. I don't know if Miele has plans for any kind of freedom cooktop -- I personally didn't see one, and the chef there didn't mention one to me.

I got a draft of the specs, but honestly it wasn't that useful b/c it had sizing but no information about wattage on each hob. And "draft" was printed on every page in 8" high block capital letters!

I have to admit that I didn't notice the electronics under the glass, but I also didn't lift the pan up to look underneath while it was heating. I didn't notice anything on the perimeter of the pan to suggest the electronics were showing. I've also read about the cooktop shutting off, but honestly I didn't get to try it long enough to know if that was an issue.

When I saw the Miele cooktop, they said it was supposed to be released in April and then got delayed to this August. Now I will say that my appliance salesman was totally pooh poohing this -- he basically said that it would be unlikely it would be out this year, in his experience (he cited that apparently the Wolf M series ovens were available over 1-1/2 years after initially promised). So I'll admit that while I liked the Miele more than the Wolf, his comments make me nervous about planning on it being available any time soon.

BTW, the sales guy also told me something that's making me reconsider the Wolf -- he said that the way the bridging functionality works, is that if you do bridge a pan, it uses all 4 bridged burners (regardless of the whether or not the pan actually overlaps on 2 or 4 burners). This essentially means that if you do bridge, you're down to 2 functional burners (the 4 bridged burners and the other single, non-bridged one). Can anyone who owns this cooktop comment on whether they've experienced it?

• cj47
    8 years ago

webuser_901293, I'm curious about your comment that the Wolf Induction is more precise than your previous Miele 36". The Wolf has 10 settings, right? My Miele 36" induction cooktop has 12, plus boost, and can also be set for half steps giving me even more control if I want it. I've never found the low setting to burn anything--including chocolate, which I've melted and held without seizing, or a hollandaise, which I've made without the bain marie with no problem at all. Which is to say that I've found the lower settings quite low enough for my use, and I cook a lot. I'm not doubting that you feel it's more precise, I'm just surprised to hear it. Your Miele was an induction model, correct? If not then that explains it. :-)

I'm excited to see what the new Miele will have, though I won't be in the market for a new cooktop for many more years! I've had my Miele 36 induction model for going on 5 years and I love it. I chose it because I liked the hob sizes and configuration, and the turn off timers on each hob. (6 years ago, turn off timers on each burner weren't a common feature). I've never had a problem with it shutting off on me unless I cover the control pad with a spoon or something, in which case it shuts the whole thing off immediately.

Have fun shopping for the new cooktop.
    Cj

• PRO
    Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove
    8 years ago

Hi bphansen, Sarah here again. The set of four burners on the Wolf 36” induction cooktop actually offers five bridging options. It has the ability to bridge any two adjacent
    burners of the four: two front-to-back, two side-to-side, or all four together.
    Essentially, you could have one bridge of two burners, plus independent
    zones with the three remaining burners. You could also have one
    large bridge plus one other zone from the burner to the right. There are a lot of options! I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can be of further help.

• kaseki
    8 years ago

Sarah: I think you could answer one question that has been hanging here for a while, and it relates to the difference between precision and resolution. No matter how precisely a cooktop power setting maintains a heat flow rate into a pot or pan, if there are only 10 settings the resolution is only ten settings. Our impression from the literature is that the new Wolf 36-inch bridging cooktop has only 10 power settings without any half settings. Is this correct?

If so, and in light of the tendency for most competing units to have 18 or more power levels, typically linearly spaced, what is Wolf's position on the adequacy of only ten? Are the power levels logarithmically spaced or follow some other rule based on live kitchen testing?

Thank you

kas

• nicmar4
    8 years ago

Kaseki, awesome induction information, thank you! Appreciate the details you and others here have shared. Deciding on an induction cooktop instead of gas. I would like a truly bridged induction range to save space and potentially $ but so far not any choices. There is a JennAir being released but it was delayed. Anyone have recommendations? I should never have seen the Thermador Freedom! (Too pricey for my budget at $5k, especially since splurging on a Thermador or Wolf steam oven)

Sarah at Wolf/Subzero, can you provide the details Kas asked in her post? I heard about the new Wolf cooktop and trying to see / use it. Power control is a key feature.

Thank you!

• BP Hansen
    8 years ago

I can confirm that the new Wolf does have only 10 power levels (plus a boost, I believe) -- I saw it a couple of months ago. But I'd also be interested in knowing about the rationale for the power settings.

I finally ended up buying a Gaggenau induction, and one selling point for me was the ability to set the power in half steps.

• nicmar4
    8 years ago

Bphansen, thank you! I haven't seen the Gaggenau induction. Is it like the Thermador Freedom? Since my post, I did briefly cook on the Wolf 36 inch induction as part of a demonstration. The unit is nice, has five burners, four of which can adjacently bridge. Not all four needed to be bridged per an earlier comment. The cost is well under Bosch and Thermador due to Wolf securing a key part at significantly less cost ( per their rep and an independent showroom rep). Has anyone had experience with Wolf service and warranty?

The wolf has the ten settings, no half steps. It did simmer well. Appreciate understanding what the fine control is used for in your experience versus the ten? I love the Thermador Freedom but the Wolf is less than half that cost, so I cannot justify it.

I do wish I could find a quality, bridged, induction slide in range. Seems the market isn't quite there yet.

Saw a Miele six burner gas range on significant clearance which looked like a piece of art and tempted me, lol. But I think induction will be better in the long run and has less venting requirements. (If anyone has thoughts on that vs induction, welcome them. ) Thank you!

• kaseki
    8 years ago

I suspect that for small pots, the need for small steps in power are at the low end of the cooking range. On the other hand, if one were cooking with a very large pot with large surface area to radiate heat and perhaps open top to release steam, the heat input requirement would be be higher and half steps at the higher end of the power range would seem to be more useful, but in such a case the standard steps may provide enough resolution. (Of course, due to the thermal mass of pot contents in that case, finding the correct setting might take a while.) Wolf may have designed for the 90th percentile cooking requirement.

However, because the hobs are controlled electrically, there is no [practical] intrinsic limit to how much power resolution can be provided. It is the choice of user interface that limits the power resolution.

kas

• htc2015
    8 years ago

This is v helpful, thank you! I didn't use a small pan extensively. However, we used the smallest individual Staub croquette and it simmered water well. I didn't think to ask the chef to try chocolate or a sauce since it wasn't a planned visit.

• BP Hansen
    8 years ago

Gaggenau has two induction styles (at least that I'm aware of) -- the freedom (which is extremely similar to the Thermador freedom -- in fact, it seems exactly the same to me except for a few minor stylistic differences like the Therm can't be flush-mounted -- which makes sense b/c they're owned by the same parent company). And then there's a fixed hob style, which has 5 hobs (for a 36") and a magnetic dial that controls the hobs. I really like the feel of a "real" dial, but the downside is that if you ever lose it, the cooktop won't work -- and it's over $200 to replace.

I was initially very sold on the Thermador b/c it had the highest power of any cooktop that I could find and it had the granular half-step power settings. But then I realized that none of the Thermadors can be flush-mounted, which I really wanted, so that nixed all of them right there. I didn't like the interface of the Bosch (although many people on this forum love them), and if I wanted the power control, the only option left that I could find was the Gaggenau. Someone in an earlier post in this thread said that their Miele could do half-step power options, but I didn't see that on the Mieles I saw.

Finally, Gagg is ridiculously expensive any way you look at it; I bought on eBay (w/full mfg warranty), which cut the price down but probably isn't for the risk-averse.

• cj47
    8 years ago

The Miele Induction defaults to whole steps, but can be set for half steps, you need to go into the controls and change it. The instructions are in the manual.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

On the Miele, the half step is called Programming. This allows the half steps to be added. The cooktop is delivered as a default without the half step.

• Jason Barnes
    8 years ago

I have been enjoying this discussion! I am almost done building our house and have been buying appliances, I've got everything but the cooktop. Has anyone looked at the new ge monogram induction cooktop 36" or the GE Café™ Series 36" that just came out?

• PRO
    Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove
    8 years ago

Hi Kaseki,

You are correct--Wolf offers 10 power settings on our induction cooktop "burners." We feel this gives the chef a wide enough range of power levels in a clean, easy-to-understand interface.
    Our power levels provide optimal control through the low-to-medium end of the
    spectrum by stepping up in small increments of power. These smaller steps
    provide the home chef with a range of power levels to meet any of the melting,
    simmering, or other gentle cooking needs they have, while delivering the precision necessary for the results they wish to achieve. The high end of the controls
    provide the greatest “jumps” in power, removing the finer resolution and
    providing a larger increase in output per step. Providing higher power settings for
    boiling or searing needs and finer low-end control for the delicate work when
    even minor increases or decreases in power make a big difference, gives the user the best possible control.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Please let me know if I can be of further help!

• kaseki
    8 years ago

Thanks, 'Sub-Zero and Wolf' for answering this question.

So there you have it, induction fans. Those fortunate to live within range of one of SZ/Wolf's distributor show rooms can test for themselves whether some higher-power cooking process they are fond of has adequate power setting resolution. Others may have to wait for some reports from Garden Web early adopters to confirm that Wolf has made a wise design decision.

As a sales decision, initial negative impressions could probably be neutralized by Wolf adding most of Sub-Zero and Wolf's comment above to its sales brochures and web pages wherever the 10 power levels are mentioned. I was doubtful that ten levels would do without any further information.

kas

• seb225
    8 years ago

Jason, I purchased the GE Cafe 36" model. I haven't installed it yet to give you usage reviews, but it does look nice and seems very user friendly. I hope it cooks as well. Good luck making a decision--the cooktop was one of the hardest decisions I had to make.

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

Good to see Wolf is monitoring GW to answer questions. I have the older Wolf. I did have to scratch my head a few times on the learning curve to understand that not all burners are created equal.

I have slow cooked, seared, boiled water super fast etc.

I do like clear lids so I can see what is going on. I used my all-clad probe to monitor my beef stew in a giant sauté pot to assure that the temp was stable - it was!

• schmuttis
    8 years ago

It's too bad other manufacturers don't care enough to do the same as Wolf.

• Poppy Mark
    8 years ago

I'm trying to find a cooktop to drop into my existing 29" x 21" opening (not yet measured, this was from the spec of the original Jenn-Air gas cooktop that was installed). The Bosch requires a 28 3/4" x 19 7/8", and the overall depth of the cooktop is 21 1/4". I'm guessing that a 1/16" overlap on the top and bottom of the unit is not going to be enough, despite the fact that the clamps appear to be on the sides of the unit. Any feedback on this from someone who has installed one?

• lobegr
    8 years ago

I have been following this discussion with interest. I was sure I wanted to replace my radiant 36" cooktop with gas, when a salesman asked if I had considered induction. Now I'm pretty sure I will go with induction, for the following reasons: the flat surface will allow more "counter" space--the arrangement of my kitchen is such that most of the counter space is across the room from the cooktop, and I like to create "mise en place," the added safety of not having actual flames burning to injure people or ignite grease, and the (alleged) ease of cleaning. So far I am interested in the Bosch models with "auto chef," and I am drawn to the Thermador Freedom model because of all the lovely teeny burners that magically join to make whatever size burner you need! The Thermador's drawback is that it is more than twice the price of the Bosch models--this may be the dealbreaker. The differences--and relative merits--of the various Bosch models are also unclear to me. Making a comparison chart between the different models gives me specs, but I don't know what they mean in real life cooking. I also wonder about the controls--how easy is it to make quick adjustments if your hands are sticky or wet? Can anyone with experience of these models or more technical understanding enlighten me?

• kaseki
    8 years ago

I haven't used the Bosch/Thermador line products, only Electrolux line products. The Electrolux use individual hob control groups with up/down power controls. The Bosch/Thermador require (as I understand it) selection of a hob and then the power range that is presented applies to that hob. The Bosch/Thermador approach should be faster as the number of power change "pushes" should be less except when changing by only a single step, in which case the Electrolux approach is faster. Mental adaptation-wise, I think the Electrolux approach is a little closer to the old range association of knob position with burner position.

The question I think I raised earlier is: In a panic, which approach is going to be easier for the person reacting to it? I don't know the answer, but some experimenting in a showroom may answer the question for you.

kas

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I have an older (a little less than 2 years) version of the Bosch 500. As I understand the current models, the main differences are the 800 has direct select power levels (my 500 has that but the newer 500s do not) which for me is a must-have, and auto-chef (I don't have that). In terms of buttons you press, as an example, press on, press the hob you want to control, press the number for the power level you want, press another number when you want to change the heat. To turn off the hob, press the 0 (another major feature for me is the individual hob timers, so if I want the above to go off in 10 minutes, I then press the timer button twice (once for just the timer that will beep but not turn off) and enter the 1-0).

• htc2015
    8 years ago

Hi, this is a great discussion, very helpful, thank you! I am deciding between the Wolf induction with bridging and 5 pan capability and the Bosch Benchmark with bridging (Thermador Freedom is double the cost). If anyone has the newer Wolf, or Benchmark, welcome your thoughts. I am leaning, perhaps too much so, to Wolf as they seem to stand behind their product long term. If anyone has Wolf E Series and Bosch Benchmark oven thoughts, welcome those, too! Decisions! Happy cooking (-:

• htc2015
    8 years ago

BTW, if Wolf/SubZero is still looking at this thread, can you comment on the E Series oven interior chipping which others on GardenWeb raised? Has it been addressed? Thanks!

• jquigley3
    8 years ago

I am still very interested in the same two (Wolf and Bosch Benchmark) induction cooktops htc2015 is and would also welcome more information on these. Thanks!

• kitchengirl
    8 years ago

webuser_90123:

"We have just purchased the Wolf 36 C1365C/B"

Could you please provide additional comments now that you've used this cooktop for 6 months? Thanks!

• Kim G
    8 years ago

I also debated between the Bosch benchmark flex induction and the Wolf. Went with the Wolf 36" CI365C/B for the following:

• The Wolf does not default to bridging when you turn it on like the Bosch. I found this very annoying and not intuitive to guests that might want to cook in my kitchen. Plus I have to remember to turn it off to use the second element independently which I do quite frequently.

• The Wolf has better pot recognition in my "testing" than the Bosch. I purchased a small 4 3/4" diameter melting pot as a test. The Bosch did not recognize it on the large Hob, but it did recognize it on the other hobs but not in bridge mode in the middle. The Wolf recognized it on ALL hobs including the large one. It does not recognize it in the bridge modes. Bridge mode was not an expector.

• I preferred the individual slide controls on the Wolf versus selecting the hob and the level separatly like the Bosch.

• I could live without the individual timers on the hobs like the Bosch. I have never had this feature so not sure how often I would use it.

• The Wolf was a much better value - several hundred $$ less. I see the induction technology changing rapidly over the next several years and would consider upgrading to a zoneless cooktop once the price point is in the $2K-$3K range. Hence I did not go with a flush install to keep my opening as small as possible.

So far I love the cooktop. I normally cook on levels 1-6 and only use the upper levels when needing to come to a boil slowly - else I use the boost to get a quick boil (and it is fast). Have not used the bridge as I do not yet have pans that require it. Still looking for that great smooth griddle. Cleanup is a breeze over gas or electric. I left pasta unattended and came back to salt water all over my cooktop - nothing "burned" on. Easy clean. Use parchment under cast iron as I am afraid of scratches (only 2 months old so still babying it). Parchment does a great job of catching splatters as well. No regrets here on my selection.

• kaseki
    8 years ago

I believe that if the griddle has feet or ridges that don't exceed a quarter of an inch, it will probably be detected and will intercept most of the field lines that it would at zero gap with a smooth bottom. (The field lines will be "attracted" to the metal.) Performance should be tested, of course, perhaps with a borrowed griddle. On another topic I reported gapping a pan a half-inch up with two hot pads and still obtaining reasonable (but unmeasured in relative terms) heating.

kas

• jwvideo
    8 years ago

>>>"Still looking for that great smooth griddle"<<<

Have you checked on the carbon steel (induction suitable) Chef King griddles? They have a 7 gauge 14 x 23 and a 10 gauge 12 x 20. Lots of reviews including for use with induction.

• kitchengirl
    8 years ago

kimg: Thanks very much for elaborating on how you chose Wolf over the Bosch Flex model -- very helpful.

• kirstyeg
    8 years ago

I had no idea the Wolf was comparable in price to the Bosch Benchmark! Will have to check it out. Thank you, kimg1114!

• Beverley Aron
    8 years ago

webuser_901293 I just had my Bosch Flexinduction installed flush in my quartz countertop - there is a tiny (about 1/8") gap between the cooktop and stone - did you have this and did you seal it in any way? My installer does not want to but I am afraid of crumbs falling in between - it's very tiny but I can see dirt building up. Thanks!

• rs6150
    8 years ago

mikg1114: Thanks for the info. We have been trying to decide bewteen a Wold and the 36" Jenn AirJIC4536XB. Yesterday I went to Specialty Appliance to try (boil water test) the Jenn Air. When an 8 inch pot was placed on the middle burner, it came within about 1 inch of the inner element. However, the Jenn Air would not recognize it. When it was placed on an outer 7 inch element, it worked just fine. So the Jenn Air seems to have a strit requirement ofr matching to the element ring. I have nowhere to try the Wolf so it is good to know it seems to be more tolerant of variation.

• kaseki
    8 years ago

Beverley Aron: If your gap is constant around the cooktop, you might consider buying from an industrial supplier a long length of o-ring elastomer of diameter just a bit greater than the gap width. It could be pushed into the gap and wiped over as needed, yet pulled if one needed to remove the cooktop for repair or replacement. Removing a sealed in cooktop might be very difficult.

kas