SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rakhmetov567

Help identify antique double pedestal dining table

rakhmetov567
15 years ago

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

I've posted pictures of the item to my Google Sites page, if you just follow the link below.

I came by an antique 1930s (that's what the owner said) double pedestal table today and am perplexed as to what brand it is, what it might be worth, and what its condition might be.

Brand: there is a stamp on one of the boards on the underside that is partially obscured (see pics) by a supporting wedge. What I can read states "Charles K" with at least one line beneath it, but the ink has faded.

Condition: It is missing the inside leaf, appears to be in acceptable but working/satisfactory condition. The main problems are a white, milky stain about 1 square foot (see pics), finish has worn through to the wood in several spots on the top in long lines. I believe the finish is original. On the bottom molding that skirts the underside, there is substantial chipping on the entire bottom edge. The two pedestals have three legs, all of which have been refastened with bent metal joists/joiners. I can fix these by smoothing and gluing. The metal paw casters are in good shape.

Value: the owner tried to sell this unassembled on Craigslist but no one bit. Doesn't mean it doesn't have value, but maybe it needs attention/love. If so, what am I dealing with here and based on the pictures, how extensive should the repairs be? Also, any guesses as to what type of wood this is? For its size, it's not very heavy, so that probably rules out mahogany.

I'd really appreciate any help identifying its brand, value, and condition. I'm very good at refinishing furniture and know I could make it beautiful, but I don't want to diminish its value (I'm aware of the antique roadshow "don't refinish" mantra and the responses professionals make).

And if it does have value, how much is subtracted by the missing leaf?

Pics available here at a Google Sites page

Comments (8)