SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orayn45

Downstairs Neighbors

orayn45
17 years ago

My boyfriend and I moved into our apartment two weeks ago. Our downstairs neighbors (they're 20-something, our age, with a toddler) complained that we were being too loud the day we moved in.

I've been pretty darn considerate since then. I don't listen to any music, we keep the TV volume low to the point where WE can barely hear it, etc. I'm even to the point where I'm afraid to vacuum because it might mess up their kid's naptime. We even whisper after 10 pm!

Last night at 11, the woman came banging on my door. I thought I had my TV too loud, so I muted it and didn't bother answering. Ten minutes later, she comes back upstairs and starts banging again. She keeps saying that I'm dropping stuff on the floor and it's keeping her 2 year old up. I had been in the kitchen for the past hour and hadn't dropped a thing (their apartment is laid out just like ours, so unless their kid sleeps in the kitchen, I don't see where it would be a problem). I apologized, told her I wasn't aware of making any noise, apologized again, told her goodnight, and shut the door.

They keep odd hours like we do. When my boyfriend comes in from work anywhere between 12 and 2:30 am, the couple and their mother are always up sitting outside smoking. I can hear their doors slam, their TV at 2am, and the kid crying (the kid really isn't a problem, I know they cry). They've been in their apartment maybe a month, so I know they've never had anyone living above them. What's the best way to handle this situation? I think I've been more than reasonable and a little noise is to be expected without being complained on.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!