SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wundernurse_gw

built-in coffee machines

wundernurse
14 years ago

We are doing a kitchen remodel and can't decide whether to put in a built-in coffee machine. Anyone have any input on the matter - good or bad? What are the best brands? Is it worth the $$? Will something inevitably break?

Comments (59)

• wundernurse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I think we have decided that it really is not worth it, and may end up being way more trouble than it is worth. Disaster averted...(this time)

• fall
    14 years ago

I did a quick search online...you got to be kidding me...these things run around $2700 ?? That is a lifetime of trips to the local coffee shop to justify that cost. That price blew me away. Never expected.

• Related Discussions

A nice built-in coffee-maker?

Q

Comments (4)
    Doofus _ I'd be a bit leary of your sales weasel. Miele's DW's are some of the best in the business, they may not fit your habits, or budget but they are really good machines. A compentent cousultant will point out the plusses and minuses and let you come to you own conclusion. Their coffee systems are also top notch, but are not produced in house like the DW's. The only problem's I know with them were in the 1st generation with the steam generators. There was a hose connection system that wasn't as robust as necessary and there were some failures on units that saw heavy use. Miele still comps the parts in most cases even today. The connectors were quickly redesigned and problem solved. I wouldn't worry about the space down the road if that's your only reservation. It's a fairly standard size and will fit a steam oven, microwave and you could even just get a lift up door in stainless or to match your cabinetry if you get tired of it or didn't want to replace with a new one. There are several threads on the merits (or lack of) of these units on here. These units are expensive and must be built in. The general divide comes down to how much you value the "wow" factor of the built in look. Counter standing "automats" are a lot cheaper and pretty much have the same internals. Many of the built in allow you to hook them up to plumbing so you don't have to fill up a water jug.
    ...See More

Wolf built in coffee machine

Q

Comments (1)
    It's mot manufactured by them, that's for sure. I don't recall seeing anything exactly like it, so it might not be a total re badge. Probably from Saeco - but I cannot confirm that. This post was edited by xedos on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 9:14
    ...See More

Built In Coffee/Espresso Machine

Q

Comments (11)
    hmg58: in that price range you'll be looking at heat exchange (HX) or double boiler machines with an E61 group. Both HX and double boiler designs allow you to steam milk immediately after pulling a shot instead of waiting for the machine to heat up to steam mode. The E61 group provides a preinfusion stage where the machine's pressure builds up slowly, allowing the coffee grounds to swell before being subjected to the full 9 bars of pressure. This avoids the common problem of 'channeling' where the sudden high pressure carves a channel through the grounds instead of flowing through the coffee uniformly. To get good results from any of these machines you should budget $500 or so for a top quality burr grinder such as a Mazzer or Macap. There are many good machines at this level -- I would check out the offerings from wholelattelove.com, chriscoffee.com, and 1st-line.com. The web sites coffeegeek.com and home-barista.com are great sources of information and advice. As for myself, I use a fully manual lever machine (the Gaggia Factory). I'm assuming that's too much of a stretch for anyone contemplating a superauto to consider, but I will say that for anyone who, like me, rarely makes more than 2 or 3 shots a day, I think a lever machine makes a lot of sense.
    ...See More

Built in coffee machine

Q

Comments (0)
    We are doing a remodel and want a built in coffee machine. Any suggestions on Miele wolf or others? Does anyone have the blue star gas range top vs the full range oven? I want also a steam oven any brand suggestions?
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

pete - they can be repaired just like any other high end appliance, and miele has one of the best networks should you want or need a repair. The value proposition has to be weighed at time of repair just like any other machine.

Sometimes you fix you car and sometimes you junk it and get a new one. A blown engine on your 5 yr. old Hyundai - scrap. A blown engine that'll cost $30k on your Gullwing Mercedes is a no brainer even though it'll pay for 2 new Hyundais.

I'm not telling em to run out and buy one, only that they are making a sound choice if they want one of these to fill their need/want.

Shannon - I agree w/Tom that that unit is nowhere near good looking enough for the cool crowd. Also, no matter how good that is , it is still a Coffee Maker, not an espresso/capuccino machine. There is a distinct difference, and it just won't do for those that want the latter.

Weissman - sound level headed advice as usual.

Gizmo -
    1. Your "what if" scenario applies to all appliances. built-in Espressos are a "standard" size as much as fridges, ovens, and dishwashers are today. FWIW - Miele's offering has not changed in size one millimeter since it's rollout over 10 years ago.
    2. All espressos and superautomats have more parts to clean than a drip coffee system - if you want espresso you simply have to live with more work because more steps are involved in the process.
    3.Very common reaction from many of these units - especially from folks that really know coffee.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

We love our countertop semi-automatic machine! I thought my sister went over the top with this as a gift, but now it is the a highlight of our day and has cut down our starbucks trips by more than half.It does have to be taken apart and cleaned, and decalcified once in awhile. I passed on the built in for the new kitchen because the cost ratio is just too high, but if it ever came down to $500 it might be worth it.

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

wundernurse, I don't have it yet, but I'm planning on a built-in Lance Larkin Brew Express. I have an espresso maker, but I go through about 2 pots of regular coffee per day (I work from home).

The Brew Express isn't cheap (about $400), but it's not 3,000 like a lot of models. However, it only does coffee. It IS plumbed, and uses a $30 refrigerator filter. It sits in the wall, so it doesn't take up so much counter space. You dump the grounds, it does the water automatically and it can be programmed. Sounds perfect for us.

The newest model is a 10 cup, the previous model is a 12 cup and also has 2 extra plug-ins located on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.lancelarkin.com/

• mrblandings
    14 years ago

Anyone interested in detailed research about coffee machines should spend some time on coffeegeek.com. For the less patient I'll summarize a couple of the most oft-repeated points of advice given there:

(1) No super-automatic machine, at any price, built in or countertop, can ever make espresso as good as you can get with a traditional espresso machine / grinder combination. (A professional-quality countertop espresso machine and grinder can be had for around $1500 and up).

(2) The quality of the grinder is more important than the quality of the machine, for all styles of coffee and all types of coffee makers but for espresso most of all. A decent BURR grinder for anything other than espresso can be had for $100 - $150. For espresso, plan on spending at least $300 - $500 on the grinder alone.

• mrblandings
    14 years ago

Sorry -- my previous link is broken. The correct link to coffegeek.com is: here

• User
    14 years ago

mr b - I find #1 kinda ironic since at it's core it's pretty much the same argument that some make when it comes to mr. coffee vs. the consumer grade espresso makers.

can't wait for all the haters with to come outa the shadows to tell you what an idiot all you folks are for spending $500- $2000 on a glorified cheese grater. I mean why would you even want one at any price. You do know you can buy coffee that is already ground up for you and it only costs pennies a serving ............right?

what is it about the grinder that differs for espresso and why does that processor cost so much more assuming like for like quality?

• matt_r
    14 years ago

Antss sounds like he works for Miele's built in coffee maker division. And a bit bitter sales are down.

• tanem
    14 years ago

We have the Miele on order and look forward to it's simplicity. We have used a regular expresso machine for years because we love a good cappuccino. Main reasons for the built-in: a regular machine and grinder take up too much space, less mess, convienence. My Dad has one of those high priced grinders as well as a high end machine. It truly does make a superior cup of java. He drives a Camry vs. a Lexus. Coffee is just his priority. When he visits me we have to go out for coffee because my machine puts the hot water out to quickly creating in inferior head (yes he times it). We are from the Seattle area in a land where Mr. Coffee just doesn't cut it.

• User
    14 years ago

sorry to disappoint you matt, but I do not work for Miele and never have. I do have one of these machines (one of the first 220v models to arrive in the country last century)at a home. I don't really use it much personally as I do not drink coffee. I do use the hot water function. Guests seem to like what it spits out frequently and it garners a lot of "wow" factor from all. At the office there is a BSH machine in Gaggenau dress as well as a Jura countertop model.

You must have mis-interpreted my last post. I really would like to know the grinder differences and was just having a playful jab at those that ridicule on one level but not another. No one was singled out in particular.

Also , Miele doesn't divide up their division by function there is really only a residential div. then commercial, which is really small here. They also do not make junk and while expensive, they almost always deliver value for the dollar.

• mrblandings
    14 years ago

antss: what is it about the grinder that differs for espresso and why does that processor cost so much more assuming like for like quality.

The short answer is that the espresso method is less forgiving of shortcomings in the grinder. You can certainly spend more than $150 on a non espresso grinder but you'd be unlikely to notice much difference "in the cup", i.e. in how the coffee tastes.

Why is the grinder so important in making good coffee? A better grinder produces particles of more regular and consistent size, which allows for optimal extraction of flavor compounds from all particles. If the particles are highly irregular, the resulting cup willl be a blend of over-extracted (i.e. bitter) coffee from the smaller particles, and under-extracted (i.e. weak) coffee from the larger particles. The blade-style grinders (misnamed, as they are really choppers) are the worst offenders, producing a combination that is often called "boulders and dust" -- under a microscope that's exactly what it looks like.

With espresso, this effect is compounded by the fact that particle size also determines the rate of flow of pressurized water through the coffee, which also affects the amount of flavor extracted from the particles. Because the water is under high pressure, very small changes in particle size produce large effects on the flow rate, so for a grinder to be suitable for espresso, it has to allow for micro adjustment of the grind size in order to produce an optimal flow rate -- around 25 seconds for a 2oz shot -- and it has to hold that adjustment once it is set. Hence a grinder that produces reasonably consistent particle size but lacks micro-adjustment control may be perfectly good for drip coffee or french press but would be unusable for espresso.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

The Miele's (CVA4066 and 4062) are the way to go in my estimation. We own the plumbed-in model 4066 and love it. If you do some digging on the various brands for sale (Ariston, Bosch, Electrolux Icon, Kuppersbusch, Gaggenau, Dacor) you will find that Mieles

1.Are designed for easy filling and maintenance. The waste bin, water reservoir, bean container, drip tray, and ground coffee storage container are all removed by opening the door and pulling them straight out of the front of the machine. Also the brew group comes straight out in one piece for cleaning.

2. They handle the hot milk and foam for fancy coffee beverages automatically. You do not have to use a steam wand and the cappuccinos and Latte Macchiatos it produces right before your very eyes are absolutely delicious.

3. They're beautiful and unbelievably convenient. We drink fresh coffee at any time we choose and always have hot water for tea or hot milk for cocoa available when needed, no pots, no pans, just put a cup under the spout and push the button.

The other machines I inspected when shopping all had serious problems of one sort or another. Some had to be pulled out of the wall on rails in order to fill them with coffee, none handled milk as elegantly, and none had been as well-thought-out as the Mieles. So far, ours has become a family and neighborhood attraction.

Lastly, I concur that there is no way you are going to get as perfect a shot of espresso out of a superautomatic machine like the Miele as you could *potentially* get by skillfully using a manual or semi-automatic, But the delta between the two products is not great enough in my opinion to give up the luxury and convenience of push-button instant gratification you get with a superautomatic and particularly the built-in Miele. And no, I do not work for Miele, in fact, I am pissed as hell at Miele right now from a corporate standpoint. But there is no denying the quality of their machine.

• saxmaan1
    14 years ago

"Guests seem to like what it spits out frequently and it garners a lot of "wow" factor from all."

OK, so we found out your motivation...the WOW factor type of guy. Whatever rocks your boat. Pro look.

• User
    14 years ago

sax- while "wow" is certainly part of it, my tools, appliances, clothes and gear must also perform as well as have a nice aesthetic. There are a few times when I get something purely for it's looks or function but it's rare. In today's global market it's easy to find companies that have a good idea of how to do both. In fact I don't really like the pro look for kitchen appliances. I like to conceal as much as possible and one of these built in superautos is more sleek and restrained than those colossal units your barista might have

These machines make a really good cup of espresso by most people's standards, I totally get the aficionado's perspective on why a stand alone commercial unit is better. I even appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a pro model too. We have incorporated a few Gaggia machines over the years for clients. They do require a lot of planning to work into a design and are more expensive. For the the passionate it's the way to go. The Miele is a lot easier to find room for and is not a just toy for the Jimmy Choo crowd.

What really gets my goat is folks that simply cry foul because they don't understand something or whine because something is a lot more money than a similar piece and then believe co.'s are trying to rip people off.

• jakvis
    14 years ago

Antss I agree with you. When I buy tools I can buy a cheaper tool that will get a job done but I prefer to buy as high a quality has I can afford that has the ability to provide me comfort while I work. (Think standard screw driver vs power screw driver)
    If some one wants to buy a $30 coffee machine because that is what they can afford and makes a good enough cup of coffee for them and if another person can afford a $3K machine because they want a cup of coffee that is comfortable for their taste what business is it of mine?
    Why buy a 2000 Sq Ft home when a 1000 sq ft home will keep the rain off your head? Does each kid need their own bedroom? why not have the whole family sleep in the same room?
    People do what they can afford and they base their comfort on what they can afford. I'm not going to begrudge a person a Rolls Royce just because I can only afford a Toyota.

• steph1
    14 years ago

Antss argument is warped. Get real. It is obvious the built in coffee makers are extreme crazy. $3000 for a machine, that is mostly disposable. Then the wierd defense groupies chime in, oh why live in this house when you can live in that house.

• jakvis
    14 years ago

You think Antss argument is warped but I don't see it.
    steph1, you probably own a car. Why? Aren't your legs and feet good enough to get you around? Maybe you need your car to get to work? Why? Could you walk to the bus stop and take a bus to work? Or, better yet, quit your current job and find one closer to home that you can walk to. But even if you did this you would probably buy a good pair of shoes. Maybe even spending a little more on the shoes so you can be comfortable during you walk.
    You need to look around yourself and see what you purchased that makes your life a little happier that you really didn't need. Maybe start by looking at the computer in front of you. Do you really need it? Do you have a broadband connection? Again do you really need it?
    I don't know why your so hung up on what other people enjoy. It's just toys. Some people have bigger and can afford better toys than others. Big deal!

Here's my situation I have a 10 year old Dell computer that I'm using to write this post but I have a Bosch Benvenuto expresso machine. I enjoy the coffee the Benvenuto makes and my XP computer is working just fine.
    Just don't ever tell me that I shouldn't spend MY money on things that make me or my family happy.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

A significant portion of the discussion on this board centers around which $6000 stove is more suitable for somebody's single-family kitchen! But having a killer superautomatic integrated into the cabinetry is madness? It makes me wonder if we are reading the same forum.

But hey, at least we are not far afield of the OP's original question, i.e., is it worth it to have one? I vote yes. If you vote no, fine, but it would be worthwhile to know whether you even own an espresso machine, much less a superautomatic.

Our Miele relieved a Delonghi superautomatic that we had on our counter for 3 years. It was used every day, all morning long. It moved to my wife's office and is still cranking out shots for the folks over there. The counter space we USED to have to sacrifice for it is totally freed up because the coffee machine is in the cabinets! It is crazy convenient and if you love delicious coffee made for you while you wait, including foamy lattes with steamed milk and froth with no waving a pitcher under a wand but delivered right into your cup every morning then I suggest that having one is worth the 3Gs. YMMV.

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

I don't think the OP said they drink espresso. I think he asked about built-in coffee machines.

I myself love my self-standing espresso machine. However, in my kitchen remodel, all I want is a built-in coffee maker. Nothing fancy, no milking the cow automatically, no grinding the beans. Just simple coffee making without me spilling water all over the counter twice a day. Thus the lance larkin.

If I'd wanted builtin espresso, then yes I'd go Miele hands down. They've done it the longest and likely do it the best. But that's not what he asked.

Where is the OP ? What does he want?

• Scott Barrett
    14 years ago

We have an older Miele CVA610. We have had it for 3 years, and it is ~ 7 years old. We bought it as a floor model with a 1 year warranty for only $500 from a local high-end appliance center. We had a dead space in our kitchen where the previous owner had a tv (we don't watch tv in the kitchen). The Miele was a perfect fit. Since owning it we've had two service calls - one for replacing gaskets (which he showed me how to do myself next time), and one for a new heater ($300).

We love the system, and it makes very good coffee. That being said, I have a 10-year old starbucks coffee maker and a french press , both of which make as good or better coffee. For a true espresso my corner coffee shop blows the miele away, but from my research I'd have to spend $1,500 or more to get a home machine to match that only makes espresso, not coffee.

For what we spent, and the needs we had, it's a great solution. That being said, when it dies, I would replace it with another used model off ebay for The cup-at-a-time approach works great for our drinking habits. I work from home, and my wife loves an after-work cup of coffee. We find that we only use about half-a-pound of coffee a week with the Miele, and were using ~ a pound with our traditional coffee maker. Factor in the foregone 3 latte/week habit each plus the savings in beans, it's a really good deal. I bought my wife a Keurig for her office, and the Miele's coffee is much, much better imho.

Also, per many other comments here, it's a great conversation starter. It is the #1 thing that is remarked on when people come over, so has some 'cool' factor for sure.

• User
    14 years ago

Cindy , since ther is only ONE choice in the marketplace for a built-in COFFEE maker (see above ref.), most took the OP's comment to mean buit-in "espresso" machine since there are numerous manuf. and most consider them "expensive".

Steph, see Jakvis' comments and then ask youself if you are warped for having any sort of autmobile? It totally depends on your perspective. To a Chinaman or Indian, owning a a car is a luxury as over 50% of their populations don 't have one and the cost of obtaining a similar one to whatever you drive in terms of their hours worked to acquire it is expressed in decades rater than the year or less of most Americans.

Careful who you call warped publically.

• covingtoncat
    14 years ago

sbarrett, that you for your reply. You answered the OP's question and offered some insightful suggestions. I have been following this thread with interest, as I personally own multiple coffee and espresso making devices (its a sickness - LOL). I am interested in hearing from someone who's actually used this type of unit and how it compares to other prep options. Again, my thanks.

• mowers
    14 years ago

Antss...give it up already. I agree your comparisons are warped. What is your obsession with built in coffee makers anyways? Drop the arguments already...it is getting old. And I am sure you will respond to this post, it appears to be your personality/motive. OK everyone, announcement announcement, everyone let Antss get the last comment.

• kellymc1132
    14 years ago

We are buying the Miele CVA 4066.

Our kitchen is 5' x 10' total (it looks like/is a closet.) We are putting Miele in a "dead corner" and gaining contiguous counterspace back. Current machine we use is a handpulled LaPavoni + LaPavoni grinder. This combo is about the same size "footprint" as the Miele - except because you have to "pull" the coffee - it all just has to sit out in the middle of the countertop so you have room to operate the machine - as opposed to pushing a button with the Miele.

We love coffee and we are shamelessly devoting a good bit of money and our limited space to having a cup. I will be crestfallen if the Miele doesn't produce the quality of coffee we have with the LaPavoni. We will use our same coffee bean from Italy and hope for the best!

We have used the LaPavoni for 7 years and still love the coffee we make with it.

• User
    14 years ago

kelly -

you must be rich and warped.

If you have reserves, most dealers have the CVA units live. Take in your beans and ask em to make up a few cups. Be prepared to spend some time as it could take a while to get all the settings dialed in for your bean and taste prefs.

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

ummm.. Cindy , since ther is only ONE choice in the marketplace for a built-in COFFEE maker (see above ref.), most took the OP's comment to mean buit-in "espresso" machine since there are numerous manuf. and most consider them "expensive".

Actually there are several builtin-coffee-only coffee makers. And many more "more than coffee" coffee makers.

I was just asking for clarification from the OP as to what they actually drink - coffee, espression, machiatto, cappucino or what.

I simply was trying to state that for coffee-only, I'm going Lance Larkin so I don't have to keep refilling the water. That's all.

• mrblandings
    14 years ago

kelly: I will be crestfallen if the Miele doesn't produce the quality of coffee we have with the LaPavoni. We will use our same coffee bean from Italy and hope for the best!

I also use a La Pavoni -- these little old-fashioned machines are capable of producing some of the best espresso you can get. Of course they do take a bit of skill to get the best results. I wish you the best of luck with your Miele, but personally I wouldn't trade my La Pavoni (which cost me $250 used from CraigsList) for a $3000 superautomatic.

Anyway, on a more important point, you say you are using beans from Italy. You should know that using FRESH beans is one of the most important factors in making good espresso -- good coffee in general, but especially for espresso. By fresh I mean that you should use up all your beans within two to three weeks from the roast date. So no matter how good your Italian beans may have been when they were roasted, by the time they reach you they are stale, no matter what BS they claim about vacuum packing etc. So if you really love coffee, do yourself a favor and look for a source in your area for FRESH coffee beans.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

Kellymc1132, best of luck with your new Miele. You can customize the amount of water, the amount of coffee, the prebrew soak duration, and also set multiple user "profiles" if need be. I hope that you'll come back and let us know how the Miele stacks up after you get it dialed in.

Points to ponder. The machine is designed to be set into cabinetry so you may have set it up on a small platform (1/2" to 1") in order to be able to open and close the door easily if the machine is going to be setting on a counter. You can use 1/4" PEX or Copper water line to plumb the machine. Be sure to put in a shutoff valve so that you can easily remove the machine if need be. Also, I installed a dedicated inline filter just for the coffee machine and you may want to take that into consideration when planning your install.

• User
    14 years ago

cindy - really? who besides L.Larkin makes a built-in coffee maker?

The other built in "more than coffee" makers you mention are espresso machines technically and I'm pretty sure all qualify as "superautomats".

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

Antss, another one is the Brewmatic. I found it on Amazon when I was looking at the Lance Larkin. It is also plumbed and close in pricing (approx $500). I just like that the Larkin is also in-wall. Actually I just looked at their website and the new one looks even better than the one below. It's made by BICA.

{{gwi:1377151}}

• User
    14 years ago

Don't think most people consider that a "built in " unit. It's not "in" anything built under , built on, ect... There are several others like this, I think Mr. Coffee had one in the 70's that screwed to the underside of a wall cabinet.

This is a fine offering for many people, I'm pretty sure it's not for those that say they are in the market for a "built in" coffee appliance. By your own admission what you like about the LL is that it's in something (the wall).

• mojavean
    14 years ago

antss on Wed, Jan 13, 10 at 10:08:
    >Don't think most people consider that a "built in " unit. It's not "in" anything built under , built on, ect... There are several others like this, I think Mr. Coffee had one in the 70's that screwed to the underside of a wall cabinet.

Not sure about Mr. Coffee, but Black and Decker sold both the Spacemaker and the Spacemaker Plus lines of appliances. We had the Spacemaker Plus Thermal Carafe system for 15 years as our main source of that essential brew and loved it. In fact, my daughter has it under her counter now. I think it might be the vanguard of 80's kitsch. Still works, anyway.

Interestingly, after going off the market with the Spacemaker Plus line in the 90s, B&D is now making a new, modern-looking follow on of similar design, again called "Spacemaker".

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Spacemaker

• riverspots
    14 years ago

The name-dropping conspicuous spending by some posters on the kitchen and appliance forums just makes me sick. You want to spend a couple thousand for a coffee machine or $20K for a range, then just do it. You certainly don't need to gloat about it.

I love coffee would love to have a perfect cup each day to savor. Instead, I make-do with a decent on the counter machine. Not that I couldn't afford to buy one of those Mieles. I could buy one every year IF I wasn't using those fund to rescue, vet and feed dogs whose owners discarded them like trash when they were no longer wanted. For me, no espresso could be as satisfying as saving a good dog from the gas chamber (still real popular in the South).

It strikes me that a whole lot of good could be done for the world if more people took some of their me-me-me, got to have, "need it" funds and used it to help others, save the environment, or otherwise better the one planet we all are forced to share.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

Holy mackerel! There I was thinking this was the Gardenweb appliance forum. That's the place where you talk about appliances! This must be the sanctimonious, self-satisfied, auto-congratulattory, scolds forum!

My Mistake!

• mowers
    14 years ago

Riverspots...I am sure you will awaken Antss. Others expressed your same sentiment, but many are self gloating and looking to WOW people. Welcome to the "me" generation, the same people rush around and finger you in their car when you are not driving fast enough when they are behind you. And then come the warped comparisons justifying why the machine makes sense. Go figure.

• mrsr
    14 years ago

You got to be kidding me? A built in coffee machine for nearly $3K ??

I think the nation needs more unemployment and financial catastophy. The recent collapses were not enough to straighten out this spoiled nation. The nation is in need of more people like the depression/greatest generation. Work hard, save, spend wisely.

I agree, that is crazy type of spending.

My neighbor has bad spending habits, yet has no savings, no retirement...oh but he was WOW. Me, I live in the smaller home with no bling (but with no mortage) but I have retirement savings so I do not need to milk the govt financial assistance or health care in my golden years. Yet I am sure all my taxes will go to bail out all the dead beats.

• weissman
    14 years ago

I agree - this is an appliance forum. People ask advice about budget, mid-price and high-end appliances. It's fine to say that the features of a high-end appliance may not justify the cost, but it's really not ok to pass judgement on people who can afford to buy high-end appliances and choose to do so. People spend money on all kinds of expensive things - houses, cars, stereos, etc. I personally do feel that people should not go into debt to buy things they can't afford but many people have the money to buy expensive things and that's their business.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

That's okay. I plan on visiting the sanctimonious pooch lover's forum tomorrow and dropping a bomb on them over their shameful lack of regard for the welfare of appliance dealers, salespeople, and repairers.

• User
    14 years ago

Oh you guys are just warped! You should sell all you possessions and move into a yurt on the plains. Think of how much longer the earth will last for Mr. Gore because you won't be causing global warming with all of your destructive behavior.

It all depends on your perspective, mine may be different than yours and I'm not as PC tactful as some around here, but what you do not hear me saying is that you are any less of a person or your view is 2nd rate because you are not as smart / rich / or / beautiful as me because you didn't apply yourself in school / business / community to be able to afford trinkets that are not available to everyone.

Nor did any of the built in, superautomat, warped, yuppie scum folks call out any of the plebes for being pedestrian for liking their Mr. Coffee.

This is America - the place that has the OPPORTUNITY for a middle class guy to become the World's wealthiest person or a minority become The President. Apply yourself and you can pretty much have whatever you want.

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

Ah ah...busted, now we know who Antss voted for. We will blame you for the health care plan.

• User
    14 years ago

Pete I'll bet you a new built in coffee machine that you cannot correctly guess whom I voted for!

Hopefully there will be no one to blame, though this week's behind closed door payoff to the unions makes this thing back to even money for passing again.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Antss-You may not be guilty, but there certainly others on these forums that encourage the purchase of luxury items over that of good high quality ones-that the OP won't be happy (i.e. fulfilled) with less. Do luxury items have a few extra features-probably. Is the performance the extra features provide worth the difference in price-not for most buyers. Justifying the finance-stretching purchase of a 42 in Wolf range for preparing annual holiday meals is like buying a 10 bedroom house for family reunions.

To those who can afford the luxury item without making sacrifices elsewhere, I say "go ahead" and enjoy it. But more often, they're like my neighbors and friends who got their trophy kitchens but couldn't pay for their kid's tuition or even uniforms for their sport's team.

• fall
    14 years ago

River...good point. This whole country overspends and does not save. The Obamanation is not helping either, but only driving the country into the ground. $3000 properly invested will go a long way to retirement or college savings. Dang, at least put into into a roth or conventional IRA. I agree, a $3000 built in coffee maker is just out of control. Kind of like the Hummers you just cringe out when you see them. And I also agree the nation has not learned their lesson. It sickened me to see the frenzied credit card spending over the holidays...these slugs will go belly up and then ask for handouts or unemployment.

• histokitch
    14 years ago

I am certain that no one is stretching the budget to put in one of these machines. They are simply a luxury item, and one like any other--not needed, just desired. Luxury items exist in every culture. These obnoxious replies in the thread over the demise of the country because of spending do nothing to answer the original question in the post. Do they make the best cup of coffee ever? No. Do people like having them? Those who drink espresso based beverages daily or mainline Starbucks may see the value. Social commentary and political rantings are completely unwarranted.

• User
    14 years ago

I think the OP left the scene a long time ago, and his/her question was answered by the 5th post.

• jfolley
    13 years ago

Wow, I find it interesting that the one's condoning all of us for wanting a coffee machine that is built in that unfortunately comes with a price are found here on this forum. Seems to be if they were not just a little curious and wanting a built in machine themselves, they would not have drifted into this column. I will say that I don't appreciate the mental beatings you are trying to imply. My husband and I work very hard for a living and contribute to this country much of our hard earned taxes to help our gov't pay for many programs in our society and in other countries. I think if we want to have a built in coffee machine and spend the money it is our business. However, I will say that although we can afford the coffee machine we just purchased at 2300.00, I don't like how much it was. I think it is overpriced, however, if you want one, you pay it.

• bukzin1
    8 years ago

My Miele CVA in-wall unit got stuck in the Descale Mode. I hear it is somewhat common. After days of searching I found this "Service Manual"

That did the trick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyexhopfnne9zmi/CVA_265x_266x_TI.pdf

• julie diane
    last year
    last modified: last year

I am very interested in getting a built in coffee machine for my new kitchen however the stumbling block is how much they cost. Are they really worth the best part of £1000 and if so which is the best value for money ?