SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kylejustin

Must Carpets be Professionally Cleaned?

kylejustin
17 years ago

I recently moved out of my apartment in Everett, WA. After renting a Rug Doctor and steam cleaning my carpets, my landlord informed me that the carpets must be professionally cleaned.

The Rug Doctor I used cleaned the carpets to like new condition and the carpets look immmaculate. My lease states, "Lessee shall clean and restore apartment to the condition it was in at commencement of this renancy prior to occupancy, less normal wear and tear." It doesn't say anything about professionally cleaning the carpets.

My landlord also said that the Health Code states that the water used to clean the carpet must be at least 200 degrees.

I returned my apartment in the same condition prior to occupany, less wear and tear by cleaning the carpets myself. Does my landlord have any justification for charging me to have the carpets professionally cleaned after I already did it myself? I didn't have to pay a security deposit, but I am being charged for carpet cleaning and they will send me to collections if I dont pay.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!