SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cj2010

Roommate broke my bed

cj2010
13 years ago

Any advice would be appreciated! A roommate moved in in Sept of 2009. He was finishing his dissertation and had a job set up out of state. He told me he would move out in mid-December, it was a very temporary arrangement. He had advertised that he needed a room with a bed. I offered my queen sized, raised Aerobed and he accepted. It's now 9 months later and he is still living here. His job fell through, plus I was happy to still have a roommate since I lost my job. Today he told me that the Aerobed is broken. He went out and bought himself a bed and asked me what I wanted to do with the now very lopsided Aerobed. He said that it's too uncomfortable to sleep on, and it's noticeably not inflating on one whole side of the bed. I was surprised he did not offer to replace it so I finally told him that I expected him to do just that. He disagreed for the following reasons. He said that when he moved in the agreement was that he'd have a bed. He also said he should not be expected to replace it because I bought the bed from a friend for less than $100 and the bed costs close to $300. I responded by saying that I don't think it matters how much I paid for it, that if one uses something that belongs to someone else and it breaks I believe the person using it should replace it. I also said that while it's true I offered him a room with a bed, that was when the agreement was that he'd be staying just a couple months, not 9 months or more! I told him that the Aerobed probably is not to be slept on for so long, night after night. It's been inconvenient for him to be using it for so long because when the occasional friend or family member wants to spend the night I don't have a sufficient spare bed for them. I should have told him months ago that he'd have to get a bed and get my Aerobed back to me, but I did not. I never collected a security deposit from him either, and now I wish I had! I could have kept it to make up for the cost of the bed. I am not sure what to do now. He told me that he thinks we should split the cost of a new used Aerobed. Thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County