SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Analyzing Root System.

seysonn
9 years ago

I cleaned up all may half dead tomato plants 3 days ago. I did NOT pull them up then because I wanted to do some checking on the roots system.

Yesterday, I carefully dug up few roots, trying to get them in tact, as much as possible. The soil was/is very fluffy and real moist so I managed to do it satisfactorily. I am sure there was no way to get all the tiny hairline roots. But for all intent and purposes I did what I was looking for .

Here are couple of pictures:

This one belongs to a HUUUGE Mortgage lifter plant , over 8 ft tall and it wast very healthy. Thou the fruits were disappointing

This one belong to one of my Ananas Noires. Again, it was a huge plant loaded with big fruits up until the cold snap stroke and the fruits did not ripen.

SPACING:
I allocated about 2.5 to 3.0 square ft ground space per plant, in average. My observation has been that the roots system did not grow beyond a circle of 18" in diameter (~=2.25 sqr-ft area). So I think, as far as the roots systems are concerned my 2.5 to 3.0 sq-ft allocation was adequate.

MY TAKE:
Tomato plant spacing requirement is mostly to accommodate the top more than the roots. So by a good support system and some reasonable top management (pruning) you can get what you are looking for. This in conjunction with short growing season ( Like in our PNW of about 5 months) makes more sense to me. The first 2.5 months the plants are still small. It is in the following 2 months that they really get big.

Alright. Let us hear your views that may be different than mine.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County