SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
techteacher_gw

odors from upstairs

techteacher
17 years ago

Does anyone have a resolution for extreme "cooking" etc odors from an upstairs apartment. This isn't normal yummy dinner smell or even delicious exotic cooking at dinner time. It is a constant malodorous stench that is permeating our clothes,furniture, carpets, even my quilting fabrics. The manager of the complex claims she cant even ask them to contain it a little ( use air cleaners, the cooking vent etc, that it could cause a lawsuit -ethnic rights etc.My real question is what about my rights -dont I have any -the usual malodorous smells clause in in our lease but they say thats for people cooking drugs and having dirty homes??? We have been here 3 years and have two other neighbors of the same ethnic persuasion who have not permeated the home like these new ones that just came in october.Even they seem surprised how the smell billows out when the door is opened. We hardly used heat all winter -which was great for the heat bill. We have the vents closed but it seems to still seep into our home, its like walking by a Thai restraunt! Summer is coming and we are both heart paitents and worried about using the air conditioner. The manager seems to think it wont be so bad in the summer because the cool air wont "cook" the odor. She gave me a bottle of stuff to spray -smells like the bath room at Port Authority in New York and I have air freshners all over the house and car freshners stuck in the vents. The manager also said she heard another tennant with the same problem found out about a coal filter to put in the heating system vent but it costs 200 $ and "she isnt providing that to people" Anyone else ever deal with this/ They also have very poor "respect" skills for people living upstairs stomping, rolling and dragging things at all hours and the child ...well we call her "Smarty Jones" enough said ..and that doesnt cover the yells cries and sceams at all hours also. I am seriously thinking of finding a lawyer.I am fair minded but it seems like I am the one giving and giving here ...whats your thoughts???

Comments (12)

Sponsored