SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardningscomplicated

watering to protect from frost

I remember reading that watering plants before a frost will help, since water will release heat when it's turning into ice. So I was going to water my plants before it gets too cold in the morning. But then I was just reading about frost protection using sprinklers. And everything I read seems to say you need to keep watering each plant like every 30-60 seconds, or the effect will wear off. And I'm not sure, but it might even make things worse, if it's not done continuously. Is anyone here familiar with this? Taz mentioned watering in another thread, if there's already frost on the plants, and that makes sense. But I think that's different than watering to prevent frost. And I'd hate to do extra work, and only have it make things worse. I don't have a sprinkler system that could spray my plants continuously. So I'll probably just try some fans tonight, since I don't think that'll hurt anything. I'm thinking it'll be a close call tonight, but we probably won't get frost. And so far the forecasts have been trending toward slightly warmer. And right now there seems to be some cloud cover.

Comments (3)