SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
velodoug

Lacanche Ranges part 36

velodoug
17 years ago

We're using the portable simmer plate more and more these days on our 4-burner Cormatin. Last night I had a small Le Creuset saucepan for brown rice and a small Dutch oven for braised cabbage towards the back over the small burner and still had room for a sauté pan on the "hot spot" over the big front burner. Granted, I could have done the same thing on three open burners but it's easier (and more fun) to move things around on the simmer plate. Is anyone else using their French top or simmer plate more than they expected?

Lacanche Ranges part 35 is here.

Comments (151)

• mwardlb
    17 years ago

Mary T - sooooo, did your baby arrive? Let us know!!!

margeaux - If I am understanding your question, I think I've seen it addressed here by mounting your hood out a couple of inches. I know it was discussed a couple of threads ago.......anyone else remember? When I get a chance, I'll look in my kitchen notebook because I printed off a ton of hood discussions at one point.

Cheers,
    Michele

• osswb
    17 years ago

Hi Michelle! Yes she arrrived!!! Poor thing is still all crated up though cause I'm afraid of dings and such ... but at least she's here and I'm thrilled. Hopefully in 10-14 days she'll be uncrated and installed. Crossing fingers. I'll be taking pics. I do have pics of her in her crate being unloaded ... but I'll spare you those images. :)

Thanks for asking!

MaryT

• Related Discussions

Lacanche Ranges Part 41

Q

Comments (150)
    Perhaps I'm just stubborn: I can identify with krobson's comments about the ovens, but would probably buy the range again, just because I love how it looks, am delighted by the stove top and all its possibilities and because I'm not bothered by 1/unreliable oven temperatures; and 2/difficulties in turning a turkey or a big brisket pan. This situation doesn't arise more than 10 times a year--I can live with that, and I don't have trouble turning a 12 inch cake pan. I've learned how best to use the ovens, but am not baking a great deal these days so I would approach something delicate like meringues with trepidation--or, at the very least, do a practice run. On the other hand, I lived in Russia for some years, and learned how to bake in their On-Off ovens, using a wooden spoon to hold the door open to adjust the temperature. You get to know the Lacanche ovens, and I've got to say that having a gas oven is wonderful--great bread, great meats. Variations in temperature are not as critical with this type of cooking as in baking cakes in the electric oven. I'm still happy with mine, and I don't imagine I'll ever have another stove--I expect this to last forever.
    ...See More

Lacanche Ranges Part 40

Q

Comments (150)
    Ailisa - I have the Provence Yellow and no, it is not overwhelming. In my kitchen it is considered a 'neutral' actually. I have wine-stained cherry cabinets on the bottom & a 'green' stone countertop, and a super-heated copper backsplash. The color in the kitchen is 'deep', so there's no one element which 'pops'. I think you'd find that with any color you chose. 'Pop' or 'brightness' is a function of contrast. Even the lemon yellow could, under the right circumstances, be considered a neutral. And any color can seem scary when placed against a white background and white can be "popless" if there's no other color to contrast with it. That's what makes black 'dramatic,' as opposed to "dark". It's all about context. So, the question you need to ask yourself - if you've made some color choices already - is do you want contrast, or complimentary? If you want contrast, going 'lighter' in color saturation (think new white tennis shoes and new jeans) or 'darker' (think black in the middle of a 4th of July party) than the surrounding environment should perform a function. If you want complimentary, you can pair orange and fuchsia together - if you've got a chocolate brown base & the colors are 'relaxing' instead of 'clownish'. I started with my 'cabernet' stained bottom cabinets with lighter stained uppers & that drove the rest of the choices. Here is a link that might be useful: I'm still happy with the color choices after 6 years
    ...See More

Lacanche Ranges Part 42

Q

Comments (1)
    Well...oops, I forgot to increment the title!
    ...See More

Lacanche Ranges Part 43

Q

Comments (177)
    Just saw this--randomly checking back to the Lacanche threads. I have a Cluny with one gas oven and have posted about the venting in the past. (Since 2004...) I had crackle tile on my backsplash, and after one use of the gas oven those many years ago, I realized I had made a mistake, because I don't have a spacer, and the condensation has discolored the tile considerably. It is only a problem on that section of tile that is immediately behind the vent, but someday I probably should replace the backsplash. You don't want to change the direction of the vent so the steam comes forward--it is really hot and I don't see how you could stand at the stove and cook at the same time you were using the oven.
    ...See More
  • margeaux
    17 years ago

HI Everyone,
    Thanks for your help. I think I am going to have them make it 26" deep at the base. By the way, I think the people at modern-aire are great. They will attempt to make a hood any way that the customer wants it.
    Margeaux

• auberginecluny
    16 years ago

Well, after years of planning and patiently waiting, we've finally broken ground. My "purple people feeder" an exquisitely beautiful, Cluny in aubergine, has been sitting in my garage since August of last year. Any other Lacanche owners in Texas? Has anyone else considered this color? I have always enjoyed lurking and reading each Lacanche post.
    Best to all - Happy May 1st.
    Susan in Texas

• hotweathermom
    16 years ago

I'm hoping for some advice from all of you. We're about to remodel our kitchen. Although I generally like a modern, minimalist look, I like to add a twist. I've fallen in love with the look of the french style ranges - they add a little tradition and color. But here's my question. I'm not a great cook. I'm a little intimidated that maybe these kinds of ranges will be too much for me. I was never interested - my husband is the main cook. But now with 2 young kids, I have a lot of fun cooking for them and with them. I've discovered it's a very relaxing change of pace from work! I think if I could stand to be in our kitchen (very dark and last remodeled in the '60s with wood-look formica) I would really enjoy learning to cook. Do you think this type of range will be too much for me as a novice? Also, how hot do the doors get? Is it safe with 4 dogs and 2 young kids around? Three more questions. Is this like an AGA that generates a lot of heat? Is the more expected wall oven/cookstop combo of a modern kitchen "cooler"? We live in a hot climate - S. Florida - and that's the last thing we need. And how do you get service if you don't live in an area with an authorized dealer? Last, when the power goes out (not a totally uncommon summer experience here), can we still light the stove? That's been a blessing with our current gas cooktop - a relic from the existing kitchen with only one burner still working.

Thanks.

• sawmill
    16 years ago

Dear hotweathermom:
    This range will not intimidate you. It has no sophisicated eletronic controls.
    It is very simple technology, despite its elegant cosmetics. You will love baking cookies with the kids and making pancakes or french toast on the griddle. I don't see a problem with kids/dogs and heat beyond any other range below the counter - I do believe there are a number of parents among the owners on this forum. Yes, it manually lights with no power. Service is not a difficult issue - local referrals are very good. You will rarely need it, though.

AnnaLeeF

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I am getting my Cluny delivered in a couple of months :) I worried about the heat issue (how hot the front is) and went to see one. It's safe :) We have an 18 month old and hopefully will have another tot soon, so we didn't want a range that got too hot in front (as many of the profesional style in home ranges do).

The service was also a consideration because we're in Alaska. I spoke with the dealer long and hard about this issue and they are very helpful in setting you up if you need service, though really they're so well made you rarely will.

I looked at much more expensive french ranges and went with this one due to the wonderful staff. I highly recommend them! Even if mine's not even tucked up against the wall yet heh heh

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I am getting my Cluny delivered in a couple of months :) I worried about the heat issue (how hot the front is) and went to see one. It's safe :) We have an 18 month old and hopefully will have another tot soon, so we didn't want a range that got too hot in front (as many of the profesional style in home ranges do).

The service was also a consideration because we're in Alaska. I spoke with the dealer long and hard about this issue and they are very helpful in setting you up if you need service, though really they're so well made you rarely will.

I looked at much more expensive french ranges and went with this one due to the wonderful staff. I highly recommend them! Even if mine's not even tucked up against the wall yet heh heh

• hotweathermom
    16 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Now I just have to convince my husband that he'd rather cook on this than a Wolf range or the Gaggenau wall oven and some sleek cooktop he'd picked out. :)

And igloochic, congratulations and lots of enjoyment with both of your soon-to-arrive babies.

• wascolette
    16 years ago

Auberginecluny,

I debated so long whether to get the beautiful aubergine or the standard black. Ultimately went with the black based on other decorating criteria. But my heart still is with the aubergine. You will definitely have to post pictures when it's installed and reigning over your kitchen in all it's glory!

• cookanera
    16 years ago

I am in the fortunate-but-unfortunate situation of having completed my long, painful and expensive kitchen renovation in the US, only to get a posting to Italy midway thru. I did get to use my completed kitchen for 2 months, but the thrill of living (and cooking) in Italy is tempered by the loss of my dream kitchen. :(

After long thought and lots of GardenWeb research I got a BlueStar in the US, which I LOVED for the short period of time I used it. I am a very enthusiastic cook and the thing is a cooking machine - powerful, controllable and with a great oven and broiler. I would have been happy to have it for the rest of my life.

Now I am in Italy, however I get the chance to buy a Lacanche at a European price! I had a test cook at the local dealer in Bologna on Saturday (stove top, not oven or broiler). It was very different from the BlueStar, unquestionably much more beautiful, much easier to keep clean and much better finished. The burners on the BlueStar were however, much, much better in my opinion - more powerful, but more controllable with a much better simmer, but most importantly the flame was spread across the bottom of the pan, so it was much more even than the Lacanche. This makes a big difference when cooking with cast iron, which I love. I can't comment on the ovens or broiler. I don't want to start another long discussion on the virtues of the stoves here but it's just something of note.

The question I have for you is the ignitors - on the Italian model I used the ignitor is manual. Is that the case with the models in the US? I can't remember and could not see it on the AC site. It is not a major issue but I thought the US models had automatic ignitors, which is undoubtedly a nice feature.

For reference, an all-gas Cluny was Â4850 including IVA (tax) in Italy. A Volnay or Vougeot with Electric warming cupboard and gas oven is Â5185.

I can't get an electric oven unfortunately as it will involve rewiring my rented house in Italy! As it is we cannot run the hairdryer and the toaster simultaneously!

• gigi7
    16 years ago

Hi, auberginecluny...yes, I'm in Texas, haven't posted in forever, and have an ivory Sully. We put ours in during the fall of 2005. I learned everything I know about Lacanche on this website! (although I must say, the guys at Art Culinaire were fabulous!) Everyone here is just amazing with their information! Oh, my gosh, I still look at it every day and just fall in love all over again! No one that has seen it so far has ever heard of it! I had one couple interested in a Cluny that came to look at it once and they loved it. Don't know if they ever followed up on it or what. I cook a lot, have dogs, one kitty, and three little grandbabies running around it all the time...no problems so far. It does make me clean my kitchen more, though! Goodness, can't have that baby in a messy room! Hope to see your pics soon! Congratulations!

• chef-marty
    16 years ago

Hi Cookanera,

You are just the person I've been looking for! If you haven't read back a while, I'm a chef restoring a trullo in Puglia and by now I should already have my Lacanche but there is so much red tape that the construction has not even started.

I've had nothing but good information and help from Mauro who is the Italian distributor and I assume is your contact in Bologna. I will be ordering soon (I hope finally) and any advise that you have for me would be helpful. I will use a company in Trani that represents Lacanche. Were you able to bargin with them? What extractor did you install? Did you have to pay for shipping? Was it an easy installation?

I beieve that you have to light the burners because of the electrical thing. The starters are electric sparks. If you did not have to plug in the oven, no sparks. How do your ovens light, by pilot light? Since the kitchen of my trullo will be new construction, I will be able to have a convection oven.

Thanks for any help.

Marty

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

I just love looking at these ranges, they are soooo beautiful. I had decided to take the plunge and by the time I got finished, I was at about $23K for what I wanted. Reality then set in (also some other cost overruns)and I settled for a Bluestar. Kudos to those of you who took the plunge! I am confident I will enjoy my Bluestar though.

• cookanera
    16 years ago

Hi Chef Marty

I haven't ordered the Lacanche yet - just used it, and yes the dealer in Bologna is Mauro at Murocucine. The oven in the working model there is convection, so I don't know how the gas version lights.

The ignitor on the burners of Italian Lacanche is a spark ignitor which is operated by a button on the front panel. If the flame goes out on simmer it does not automatically re-ignite (unlike the Bluestar I had in the US). I believe the US Lacanche versions are different and re-light automatically, but I may be wrong. It is not a big deal, but the simmer on the Lacanche is pretty hot even on the simmer burner and without re-ignition you cannot really adjust the flame very low.

The quote I had was plus shipping which adds another Â200-250 to deliver to a ground floor about 50 km from Murocucine in Bologna.

As the house is rented and we will take the range with us when we move I won't have a hood. It would require knocking a hole in the wall, which we won't contemplate.

If you haven't seen a Lacanche in the flesh, make sure you do before you order. The Cluny ovens are pretty small, even by Italian standards. Much of my ovenware is too big to fit in. I'll get a Volnay as a result.

Good luck with the Italian red tape and prepare for una granda mal de testa with the builders. My advice is to be very careful with any contracts (building, real estate, etc). If you are careful you will be fine but many foreigners get burned. Everything is labyrinthine in la bella Italia!

Happy cooking!

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Boy, I dunno... I'm sure they are wonderful ranges, as they ought to be for the money.

But that website-- 'Impress the caterers! Impress the architects! Impress the co-workers! Make your FIRST bechamel!' Practically nothing about how they actually work, just frequent lists of fairly simple food [pan seared new yorks! pan seared duck!] and lists of impressed people.

I simply won't deal with a company that projects this level of pretension.

Makes me think of the rappers who used to wear Mercedes emblems for necklaces.

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Thank you oruboris. I've seen you post this comment on at least two threads now. We get that you don't want a Lacanche. Enough already.

breezy 2-I'm sure you'll enjoy your Bluestar! Folks on the KF seem to enjoy them. They seem to be workhorses, too! Good luck!

Cookanera and Chef Marty-Can't wait to see what you end up with!

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Since this thread is on the subject of LaCanche and the other isn't, I thought it was worth a repeat-- not everyone reads every thread.

Unless people make a little noise, the importer in Seattle is never going to step up and provide the info they need to compare this range with similar products.

I'd think those who really like Lacanche would be in favor of a website that makes them look like serious cooking tools, rather than props for possuers...

• chef-marty
    16 years ago

Hello to all,

So now I have to make sure because of cookanera's good advice. Is there someone in the NYC area with a cluny I could see? It would be a great help. I know that we have gone over this before but...Can one fit a half sheet pan in a cluny oven confortably? That is all the room I will need. The two ovens are more important to a degree than the size of the oven.

Cookanera, will your Lacanche come with accessories like a simmer plate or oven pans? I believe that they do in the US.

Oruboris, if you have read anything at all on this thread, you would have seen that these stoves are not for possuers. They are not just beautiful showgirls. There are many very qualified cooks/chefs here who use every iota of their ranges. From what I've read, many here know their cooking well and if the Lacanche did not perform, it would have shown up by now as it does in other threads about other ranges. You may have a point about the marketing but please do not worry about us "possuers". We can handle things ourselves.

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Marty-
    I'm not in the NYC area and I have a Sully...so I can't help you! :( Most of the posters here, though, have Clunys, so someone will chime in! What configuration are you getting?

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Now wait: I'm not complaining about the range or the people who own them. Quite the contrary.

My issue is that they are being marketed strictly as fashion accessories with no information for those that might actually want to cook on their range, rather than show it to the neighbors.

I'm surprised that everyone else is OK with that.

It's similar to my problem with Lowes: all their ads are built around the 'men are morons' theme, so I won't shop there.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Marty (and oruboris if you'd like) there is a huge amount of information about the stoves available on the website. Like many sites, it has it's "advertising" area with lovely descriptions but few details, but if you take 32 seconds, you can get the details you need for each specific stove by clicking on the stove link and then on the stove itself in the picture.

Marty, The Cluny comes with it's own baking sheets, which are fitted specifically for the range, but it will also take a half sheet. If you click on the Cluny in the picture it will lead you to another page with links for specs. It covers details like stove size, range size, etc., so hopefully it will answer your questions there.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

not at all a Lacanche issue and sorry to piggy back, but velodoug - if you are there...can you check the link below and see if you have any ideas...

thanks in advance -
    M

Here is a link that might be useful: Gas Range Ignition

• chef-marty
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I've seen all of the information possible without seeing a real Lacanche in the flesh so here is the best question I could ask. Since the Cluny is so popular and there are many owners out there, are there any of you who regret not getting a stove with a bigger oven (like a volnay for example)? Do any of you think that the ovens are just too small?

• pirula
    16 years ago

The ovens in the Cluny are perfectly workable, at least for us. The only things I had to replace because they didn't fit were my cookie sheets. Which, were so old and ratty in any case, I was thrilled to finally have an excuse to donate them and replace them. Everything else fits just fine....from my enormous Emile Henry lasagne pan to my largest le Creuset pot. It can't be just us, plenty of people have Cluny's and have no oven size issues. If you do like to cook with the larger sheet pans or whatever, then sure. But for us, they're just fine.

I haven't been to the AC website in ages, so can't comment on the marketing. It is a fabulous range and if they still have the testimonials page, then there's plenty of info on the fabulous performance of this range. But yeah, "impress the caterers" would be a "gag me."

: )
    Ivette

• chef-marty
    16 years ago

I'm a caterer and I'd be impressed!!! But that is not a real reason to buy a Lacanche or is it? There has to be at least a little snob appeal involved, no? For me, I need to get away from the stainless steel environment that I have at work. I want something beautiful and cozy to work on so that I don't think that at any moment a party for 250 persons will come in for tomorrow.

I'm sure that a Cluny will work for me. I do so much work on half sheet pans when doing catering in places without kitchens. I have a small 110v convection oven with three racks that hold half pans and I know what I can do with that.

I'll get a black one with classique hob, one gas and one convection oven. I'll get a large simmer platter and maybe a plancha. I will be covered for anything with this set up. I may give cooking lessons and I need flexibility in very little space.

The Italian mal di testa has set in. We are already six months behind because of red tape "ma non mi lamento," I was ready for it. You shouldn't build in another country unless you know them well. My architect is a genius with stone and I trust him.

• velodoug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chef-marty -- You may want to check the dimensions of the Cluny oven. A, 18" deep half sheet pan will NOT fit in the 16" deep convection oven, and I've never been convinced than an 18" by 13" pan in the 18" by 15-3/4" gas or regular electric oven will allow for very good air circulation.

• chef-marty
    16 years ago

Oh no! Now I have to re-think everything.....again.

• chef-marty
    16 years ago

So,

The problem is not really with oven size. It is the size of my recipes which are all based on standard cooking sheet pans. I would have to re-write all of my recipes to fit pans that would fit these size ovens.

It gets worse for me as I have just found out that the half pans will not fit a volnay with a convection oven as it is about 16 x 16.

My only option is a volnay without convection.

• velodoug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It looks like there is an error in the dimensions for the Volnay convection oven in the PDF file on the AC web page. It says...

"Dimensions L x W x H : 530 mm (15.7ÂÂ) x 405 mm (15.9ÂÂ) x 305 mm (12ÂÂ)."

...but 530 mm is approximately 21", not 16". You can check with AC, but I'm certain that the convection oven is 21" wide and 16" deep, which should be OK with a 13" x 18" half sheet pan. I get very good baking results with a half sheet pan in the 21" wide x 18" deep gas oven of our Cormatin.

• chef-marty
    16 years ago

Thanks Velodoug,

That is a big help! I feel silly that I did not catch that myself.

• jenos
    16 years ago

Does the Sully have an oven large enough for a big 22lb turkey?? I must be stupid, but the dimensions page on the website is like Greek to me!!

Also, are there any dealers close to Chicago?

And, finally, is there at least a way to see color samples before you buy?

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Jenos-
    Yes, I've cooked turkeys that big in my Sully ovens.

There is only one distributor and it's in Washington state. I can't remember if there are any regular posters in the Chicago area. Call AC and ask them if they can arrange for you to go see one. Back when I ordered my range, they shipped me color samples (which I had to send back) so I could see all the colors. There are so many more colors now. I'm sure they have a different way of doing things today!

Feel free to keep posting questions here. The "usual" posters don't necessarily visit everyday, but we do come back and try to catch up. Someone will hopefully have answers you need!

HTH!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

The only dealer is in Washington, but it's a nice vacation spot :) (I flew down to see two stoves...one in Portland and the Lacanche). They have a winery as well so it's a great afternoon break if you want to talk ranges and pick up some nice little wines.

We left with 6x6 (aprox) samples of the colors we were considering (and didn't need to send them back). They were actual finishes so it was nice to have them to compare to the other items in our kitchen we wanted to flow with the range (granite in particular since I had already picked it out). I'd give them a call if you can't visit and ask for samples of the color's you're considering.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

I was able to get actual color samples of the colors I was considering. It took a bit of time to get them. I did send them back because I knew someone else would be requesting them and I knew the supply was limited. The colors on the paper color chart in some cases aren't very "true" to the actual samples.

• bobleilani
    16 years ago

I was wondering where this thread went...had to go all the way to page 6 to find it! :)

Well, I think I might be the next Lacanche convert (igloochic, you were the last one, weren't you...going from Molteni to Lacanche?) DH and I had fallen in love with La CornuFe, but after making our kitchen a little larger, we decided that a 43" range would be a bit on the small side.

So I think as of right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the 55 1/4" Cluny 1400, with the optional warming cabinet. Color? Probably Burgundy Red...oh, but I also love Aubergine...and yet, we couldn't go wrong with Matte Black (which would have been our choice with La CornuFe).

To those of you who have seen actual color samples, is the Terra Cotta indeed as orange as it looks on my computer screen? Any feedback on Burgundy Red or Aubergine (I think I remember reading about only one Lacanche owner with Aubergine, is that person the only one here?) What about another color that I don't seem to hear a lot about, Marron Glace?

• wascolette
    16 years ago

I had gotten a sample of the aubergine. It is not as purple as the website shows, at least not the sample I received. It was more of a cross between purple and maroon. Absolutely beautiful. Alas, I didn't go with that as it wouldn't work in our color scheme. Do call AC and get a sample.

I'm still waiting for Auberginecluny to post a picture of hers, but I believe she is still in construction so it may be a while.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

The terra cotta is not as orange as it appears on the screen but it does have orange tones for sure. It does not look like a clay terra cotta pot - it is a very pretty color. It is bold for sure. (It was our top runner when we were looking, with the vert sologne coming in second)

The Marron Glace was a bit "quieter" but still very nice. Kind of grey toned.

Here is a link to my overly compulsive color analysis!

Do get the samples, the sample sheet does not do them justice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colors

• igloochic
    16 years ago

We had samples of the burgundy red, provancal (sp?) yellow and the black to look at with our granite (which we'd already purchased). The provancal is TO DIE FOR! I absolutely loved it, and the burgundy red as well. Very rich colors. The chips on the site don't do them justice. Unfortunately our granite is a hard one to match to these so I had to give up and go black on our Cluny 1400. I thought the terracotta was lovely as well, but I'd say it leaned towards the red tones of terracotta verses yellow or orange.

Honestly I didn't like the tangerine, but the rest were stunning, and much richer than the pictures. If you go red or provancal post a pictures...I'll die of jealousy right away!

• bobleilani
    16 years ago

wascolette, I can't wait to get that aubergine sample (and I'll patiently wait with you for auberginecluny to post pics!)

plumorchard, THANK YOU so much for your overly compulsive color analysis...in fact, I loved it so much, I "borrowed" a pic to use for a little guessing game:

1. Terra Cotta
    2. Portuguese Blue
    3. Burgundy Red
    4. Delft Blue
    5. Provence Yellow
    6. Mandarine
    7. ???(I'm stumped)???

igloochic, thanks for the heads up on the Provence Yellow, I love that color as well but it kind of stumps me when it comes to my granite selection??? I will probably choose the range color first and THEN the granite, but I hope to not be so limited in my choices if I do go with the Provence Yellow. The Burgundy Red has been talking to me for some time now, and so has the Aubergine, so maybe Provence Yellow just has to stand in line behind them! It's also good to know that Terra Cotta is more red than yellow/orange, maybe it will have to compete with Provence Yellow in line!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

If you've fallen in love with that whimpy burgundy red picture above, you will swoon over the real lacanche burgundy red. It's rich and deep like a wonderful cabernet red. Really it's aptly named. I was going to purchase a black molteni stove, so I purchased vulcan gold granite (which is a huge black, white and gold swirl of color...fabulous, but the drama demands that it's the first thought in any color choice).

When we nixed the molteni and moved to the lacanche, I was already committed to several thousand in stone, so I couldn't very well drop that and pick another at that point. The burgundy was just a bit too purple red to work with the golds and it really didn't flow well with the granite as a whole. Too much competition really in one small room. The yellow was my second choice, though I wavered on it being first or second (it was the choice for a brave decorator). I would say that with the yellow you'd limit yourself more than the red, but what a wonderful limiting piece :oP It would have to be the star of a kitchen (as most of these are, but the yellow really sings!).

I was just at the granite yard today. With any of these colors you're not limited. I was suprised at the options available in pretty much any color. I could see that yellow mixed with a wonderful deep brown granite counter, or one of the wonderful speckled whites (more speckles of black and other colors like a little burgundy spot, etc). It would be easy to have fun with that one. And the burgundy, well that one would mix with so many of the granites I drooled over today.

The problem with changing stoves mid design is that if you've spent any money, you have to consider that first. I had the granite, and half of the backsplash tile as well as the venetian plaster (no small expense in itself) and my mosaic for behind the stove. I really would have to take a design swing at that point, a very expensive one, to go with one of the other colors.

In your shoes...I'd go with that red :) I can't be inspired by the tangerine, and I have a personal bias about having blue in a kitchen (though they're lovely too). The terracotta was nice, but when paired in a room with the burgundy and the provance yellow...you just won't be able to look it's way.

It's kind of like seeing a brunette, blonde and redhead in a room together. The blonde is "pretty" which isn't bad, and the brunette is a classic beauty, but the redhead, well she's the sexy one that instantly catches the eye...that's what those two colors say to me..sexy red head!

Ok I'm married to a lovely man and not looking for a blonde, redhead or brunette...so don't get any wild impressions LOL (but being a redhead, I might be biased about that as well) heh heh

All I ask is that you don't disapoint me and get white or black :oP You have an open field to go with the sexy piece...go for it!!!! You only live once!

• bobleilani
    16 years ago

Thanks for your input, igloochic! You know, the Burgundy Red has ALWAYS been my favorite (I was even hoping La CornuFe would come out with that color before I needed to order!) but after hearing how much more beautiful you describe it to be in person...I am SO looking forward to getting a sample! I'm also crossing my fingers that maybe I won't like the aubergine so much (yeah, right!) so my decision will be easier.

But oh! I sure wish you were a brave decorator! ;) Woulda liked to have seen the Provence Yellow in your gorgeous new kitchen...but I'm sure the black really allows your Vulcan Gold to take centerstage.

I do see your point about the terra cotta and I agree even the sample photo really makes it disappear when you compare it to the vibrant color of burgundy red.

Funny comparison of the hair color thing, BTW, and if you're playing my future Burgundy Red Lacanche, then the part of your future Matte Black Lacanche belongs to me! :) Does that mean I'm a "solid choice" and a "classic" piece that will complement (but not overshadow) its partner? Hee, hee!

P.S. Just for kicks, can anyone identify the #7 color above?

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

#7 Mystery color - Process of elimination on the above color.

It has been a while ... I had Frangipane, Marron Glace and Vert Sologne. As wierd as it seems that looks like Frangipane or Marron Glace with a huge influence of the kitchen light and camera flash! My guess is Frangipane since it is lighter. That really is bizarre - and I had not ever noticed because I was drawn to the terra cotta.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

LOL bobleilani, that solid "won't overshadow the partner" description is great for my Lacanche :) It's really a beautiful range, and we're giving it it's own wall so it really will be a focal point as well so don't think I don't appreciate my solid partner heh heh

I'm actually a pretty brave decorator most often, but I think the fact that I'd already committed several thousand to my decorating scheme at the point of range change, made me a bit less brave. The room next to it has a chicken chandelier and gold walls so I can't be all umm chicken :oP

I didn't spend any time on that aubergene, but I can imagine that it would be absolutely gorgeous in the right kitchen, and given that you're in the early stage of design, you really could have fun with it. It for some reason reads modern to me (can you see it in a sleek SS kitchen with silver cabinets and white granite? gorgeous!) Some blown glass to match...yummy

I could be nuts, it might be a great piece in a traditional decor as well. I'm guessing that, given the style of your house, you're shooting towards old world or traditional in feel verses ultra modern? I don't remember the size of your kitchen from the plan, but if it's huge I can see that aubergene in an unfitted stone kitchen with black cabinets...etc.

I fell in love with my marmorino plaster as well early on, and it is going to be stunning with the black stove and granite. It would have had to change if I was going with red or yellow as well (it's a deep terracotta with a gold bend LOL). So much for finding the perfect stove after you've done half your shopping :)

If you haven't looked at venetian or marmorino plasters, you should :) Not a cheap finish by any means (and hard to find installers in my area so I have to do it) but a fabulous finish with a very rich feel. It would fit the style of your home soooo well! And let's see...they have almost 1000 colors to choose from...so aubergene or red would be easy to match :oP

Darling, you don't want a cornuefe in your kitchen...you have to have room for a big range in that house plan :oP You should do the cluny 1800 (71") or the sully :) Wouldn't warming cabinets on both sides be a dream!

I sure wish I had room for the 1800...we'd have had to lose the kitchen sink though oh and remove the window overlooking the lake LOL Maybe the next place will give me the space!

• bobleilani
    16 years ago

Thanks, plumorchard, although I'm still somewhat stumped that the color is indeed frangipane...but I guess it must be! It just looks so "lavender" in the photo, yet on the Lacanche website frangipane looks almond.

Chicken chandelier, igloochic, WOW I can't wait to see that! :) I just can't wait to see how everything turns out in your remodel, you've talked about so many beautiful things...

Never thought about the aubergine in a modern decor, but I guess it's because I never associated "Lacanche" with "modern" either! I just love the color and felt it would be fitting in a wine country setting...but the burgundy red is truly a perfect fit as well. I think the aubergine is to me what provence yellow was to you, in the way they fit in the "brave decorator" category! :)

Venetian plasters, we've looked into that and have one bid so far. It truly is beautiful and the only downside I see to plaster is that it can't be repaired in a small section (very, very, very difficult to match!) so you'd need to redo the entire wall in order to repair any damage correctly. Not that we're rough on our walls, but we do have one very playful, little-boyish dog who thinks it's loads of fun to toss around his bones and toys...and I don't know how delicate venetian plaster is, but we have dog toys for 100-lb. dogs and they're pretty solid! Maybe I'm overworrying (that's a word, right?) but I guess if you're brave enough to have it with a two-legged li'l boy, I should be fine with our four-legged li'l boy! :)

Oh, the Cluny 1800...WOWZA! I think it might be overpowering for the space we have dedicated for the "range" area. We're trying to center it in our kitchen and with a pass-through opening to our pantry and dining room on one side, having a 71" range would leave us only about a foot on one side. I guess that's why I feel the Cluny 1400 is a better size, being 55". We're planning on some pretty fancy stuff for the range surround and hood, with hidden spice racks in giant corbels, etc. so we do need the extra room on both sides of the range. Besides, I think it would be a dream just having one fabulous warming cabinet! :)

{{gwi:1375324}}

Just wanted to indulge myself in some eye candy here...

• honeysmomcooks
    16 years ago

Oh my oh my!! I just can't stand it anymore!!! Just have to pop in here to share that my Burgundy Red Cluny 1400 is currently sitting at AC waiting on our house to be finished being built!! It's absolute torture!....Yes, we took the plunge on the burgundy. Like igloochic, we went to AC to touch and feel the ranges prior to ordering and absolutely fell in love with the burgundy red. Currently living my cooking and canning dreams vicariously through the 4x4 sample that AC was kind enough to send me (yes, I know, it's sad!). That burgundy red is absolutely scrumptous! I don't think that it's all that loud or daring, but more svelte and regal. I think that it will look beautiful anchoring our home in the woods of Western WA.

No matter what color you choose, I really don't think that you can go wrong. The Lacanche colors are all so deep, rich and creamy looking. I think that this range was the first decision that we made in our home build, even before we had plans drawn up! Good luck to you in your color decision dilemma!

• janieo
    16 years ago

We too have been informed that our Lacanche, black with brass trim Volnay, is on the way to its temporary resting place in Washington. I am so excited (and nervous) about the reality of this purchase. With the walls of our house not yet being wrapped, the roof containing only plywood as its protection and the city of Los Angeles requiring us to add additional electric power from our house to the street, I feel like the only stable thing in my life is the existence of my Lacanche! Living in a small apartment while our remodel gestates has changed my eating habits from cooking to visiting every little restaurant within walking distance of our apartment. I am so afraid I will move back into our home and never want to cook again after so much thought and energy has gone into the planning of this kitchen! Please someone, reassure me this is a passing phase based on the reality of a no air circulation environment coupled with only four chairs around our table and our two kids living in China! Will I ever need to scrutinize the marbling on 16 lbs. of meat or skim the fat off 20 gallons of chicken stock? Will my beautiful Volnay entice me back into the kitchen...
    Janie O

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Our Lacanche is still in the baby stove ward, being built for us. We're looking at an August date for delivery. So we're keeping the contractors busy making the perfect setting for her.

Bobleilani just a little OT but you really should look at the venetian plaster. It's so perfect for your gorgeous home. It's actually stronger than a wall with paint and when you seal it with wax (I prefer an oil based commercial quality wax) it's indestructible, really. THe finish is so rich, and given that the home you're building is in a traditional setting, it would really enhance it.

If you do (or have done) a perfectly smooth finish (no trowel lines) you will need to redo an entire wall if there's damage, but if you do a more traditional finish with a smaller trowel allowing for the trowel lines, and you order a color that is readily available you won't have trouble feathering in a repair. I've done it :) We had a couch moved it that beat up the wall and you couldn't tell where after I fixed it.

I purchased mine from artsparx (in california). Their brands are all high quality from Italy, and they offer both VP and Marmorino (which is great for the bathroom and kitchen). They also sell the wax necessary for a strong surface (without wax it's still fabulous, but the wax is such a great protectant and it brings out the richness of the plaster finish).

The stuff isn't cheap...but at least your shipping wouldn't kill you. My total cost for about 1400 sq ft of wall space was $2,000 but sadly enough, $600 was shipping. (Sometimes it sucks to live in Alaska).

OK now back to that sully LOL (you're right, you want nice counter space on each side so the Cluny 1400 is probably best). I can't wait to see it in your home. How long until it's finished? (I can't remember if ground is broken yet?)

• bobleilani
    16 years ago

honeysmomcooks, thanks for posting! What configuration did you select for your Cluny 1400? I know I want the "Classique" rangetop with a warming cabinet, but am still not decided on what to do with the optional space. Anyway, it's so nice to hear how much you're excited about the color and range, and quite possibly we'll have matching ranges in the future!

janieo, I have no worries for you getting back into cooking...with a beauty like that, I think you would quite easily be enticed. :)

igloochic, I'm not a mathematician by any means, but if 1400 sq. ft. of wall space is $2000, I can't even imagine how much it would be to do a 7680 sq. ft. home! YIKES! Better ask DH how much that one quote we got is...but if he hasn't mentioned it, maybe he already knows it's out of the question? Thanks for the info on the wax, I hadn't heard of that one, but if it means durability, I'm all for it! Perhaps we could squeeze in the great room/breakfast nook/kitchen to have venetian plaster in the budget...we'll see. Oh, nothing's changed so far...still haven't broken ground...if we don't soon, I will definitely be breaking something!

Not meaning to go further OT, but I just managed to pull myself away from some other eye candy from another forum. I think it must be a sign to go with burgundy red because I really seem to be drawn to this color!

1970 Mercedes Benz 280 SL, owned by leben in Stockholm, Sweden

• jenbeber_mac_com
    16 years ago

After reading these posts, we looked at some of the other brands mentioned. The molteni is beautiful too - in pictures anyway. A couple of you mentioned you'd considered a molteni first. Did you decide on the lacanche for reasons of price, aesthetics, or something else?