SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toonicelandlord

Dishonest Renters

toonicelandlord
16 years ago

Last spring I decided to sell one of my rental homes. It sat on the market for 6 months and I was going broke trying to pay my house payment plus the rental home payment. In September I decided to take it off the market and rent it out again. I had only one couple with a young son call and come to see the home. They loved it and said the wanted it and that they needed to move into it that same weekend. Their references and previous landlord said they had been decent renters in the past and although they had made some late payments they always paid. They had the first months rent but not the deposit. Being that I did not want to have to pay yet another house payment on this home myself I let them move in and told them they could pay the deposit in two increments over the following two months. Well, it's 6 months later, they have given notice that they are moving March 31 and have not paid a dime of the deposit nor have they paid February or March rent. They claim that they paid the deposit by dropping cash off to my secretary where I work. However; my secretary has no recollection of them ever dropping it off to her. I have asked the renters several times to see the receipt they claim to have but they have yet to show it to me. I am thinking that they are going to create some sort of forged or fake receipt then expect me to return a deposit they never paid. They say they will have all rent caught up before they move but they dishonestly continue to say the paid the deposit. I know I should not have been the nice guy in not making them pay the deposit up front but does anyone have any advice on what I can do or how I can handle this issue?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EasyHeat
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Easy-to-Install, Reliable Heating Products in North America