SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmaximus_gw

Landlords Claim Rent is Late

jmaximus
15 years ago

Hello all.

I recently received a letter from the office of the property management company that owns the apartment I rent. Their letter states that my rent for February was past due (paid on the second instead of the first), and are requesting $25 late charge.

Along with this letter, they sent a photocopy of the check I wrote them with a stamp they put on it that says "RECEIVED FEB 02 REC'D".

The thing is, I put my check in the rent payment box outside on the 30th of January! I even have the 30th written on the check in the date field. I KNOW I paid it, and now they are claiming I did not pay it on time!

Is there anything I can do about this? Do they have a right to simply claim willy-nilly that people are paying late and collect late fees? I expect to talk to the office on Monday.

On top of this, they were doing work in the bathroom upstairs because a leak caused our bathroom ceiling to cave in. They came in to our bathroom to fix it and got metal saw dust on EVERYTHING! It was a mess. And they left slivers of wood in the carpet and chunks of dry wall. This began on Monday, and Saturday now they have only managed to get up some sheet rock (not painted or anything yet). And, they did not clean ANYTHING up. I had to clean it all up myself. They might come back Monday to finish the work, I think (they will probably make another mess), but I cannot believe they were gonna leave my bathroom covered in that red rusted metal stuff for all this time!

I have mentioned these two issues together in hopes that if there is nothing I can do (technically/legally) about the late payment claim, I can at least attempt to sway them by using their mistreatment of me during this repair work to bargain them into caving on the late payment issue.

I live in Minnesota, and YES! you can bet we will be moving out of here come the end of the lease! [rant](These people have, quite frankly, been total d*cks ever since we moved in! Really care nothing for the people who PAY THEIR SALARIES).[/rant]

Thanks for any help on this matter,

Jon

Comments (9)

Sponsored