SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brisk5181

Wall mount range hood or under cabinet range hood?

brisk5181
12 years ago

Hi, I want to replace my existing white, old under the cabinet range hood to a new SS one.

However I am debating between under the hood and wall mount ones. My current range hood is only 6 inch tall. The clearance to stove is at a minimal level, cannot install a taller than 6 inch under cabinet range hood. So the new SS under cabinet hood has to be 6 inch tall or less, which limits my selections. (unless I replace the cabinet on top of the hood).

The other option is to take the cabinet out, install a wall mount range hood. Unfortunately I have the following problems:

1: my kitchen has bulkhead, ceiling is 8ft, so the wall mount range hood cannot exceed 24" from the top to bottom.

2: the left side of the range hood has two cabinets, the 2 sides of upper cabinet is not exposed, thus the side board color is yellow, not the color of the door. The bottom one is ok. If I take out the cabinet above the range hood, how do I fix the color of the board?

3: I have crown molding installed, if I take out the cabinet, I would have to redo the molding.

1 and 3 are not big concerns, my biggest concern is the #2. How easy it is to replace the cabinet side board?

BTW, which one looks better? wall mount or under cabinet? (considering I have a 8' ceiling with bulkhead).

thanks

Comments (5)