SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
survivalgardener

Protecting tomatoes from cold weather - A few questions

survivalgardener
9 years ago

I have about 100 tomato plants in 2 rows about 50' long. Most are cherry varieties that are about 5' - 6' tall and have a lot of ripe and almost ripe tomatoes on them with a lot of green unripened tomatoes on them. I also have a few larger varieties of tomato plants that are producing some tomatoes but not a huge amount. Keep in mind though that I didn't get any plants in the ground until mid July so I think I am doing okay considering that. I also have 10 pepper plants in buckets that will be put in the middle of my two tomato rows.

Now that you know what I have for plants here is my weather situation. They were saying a low of 33 tonight with a rain snow mix. It has now changed to 33 degrees with just rain. It is in the mid 50s right now with mid 40s predicted for tomorrows high. Looks like the next week or so will be in the mid 50s with lows in the 40s to mid 30s (not that you can actually trust the predictions to be 100% accurate). We also have 15- 20 mph winds today with the same predicted pretty much all weekend.

All that being said should I urgently be working today to get my plants covered for tonight or would I be okay working on part of it tomorrow too? My idea is to put 4 x4s in the ground high enough to be a little taller than my plants and put a big tarp over the 4 x 4s securing it so the wind doesn't blow it away). Will this be adequate cover for a few weeks until I can get all the materials together I need to build a greenhouse over the plants or should I just plan on these plants not making it a few weeks and start over when the greenhouse is up?

I am also wondering what I should do with the tomatoes already on the plants. I am planning on harvesting the ripe and near ripe tomatoes today. What should I do with the green ones? Should I leave them on the plants longer to ripen or pull them off to and ripen them off the plants? Any advice anyone could give me would be appreciated.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor