SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinavhh

Steam oven options, please help!

katrinavhh
14 years ago

We are finally ready to order the wall ovens, and I have been surprised by a new choice that is throwing me a curve-ball...the Sharp steam oven/micro combo... Please help!

My original plan was to order a Viking combi steam oven to be built-in above a Viking convection oven. (They are Viking because we have a family friend with a huge discount, and I am OK with the reviews.) But, I have just learned of the Sharp steam oven that could take the place of the microwave (yet to be purchased). Here are the tradeoffs as I see them.

Opinions VERY welcome!

Background:

- Young couple building first "real" house, plan to live here for 15+ years, have one 2 year old and would love more, I cook every day and love it, DH doesn't cook at all but enjoys the fact that I do :)

- Cost is an issue, we are on tight budget, but I have bought ALL other appliances at discount scratch & dent so I could afford a really nice set of ovens

Choices:

1. Viking steam oven and second convection oven (built in wall) + regular microwave (under counter)

2. Viking double convection ovens (in wall) + Sharp steam oven/microwave (under counter)

Trade-offs:

Choice 1:

- I would only have one full-size oven with this set-up. I do a lot of cooking and have never had two ovens but always wanted them. Will I miss having a second full-size oven? The steam oven interior seems so much smaller, but I'm not sure that actually matters if it fits most of what I'd be cooking. I won't, for example, be roasting two huge turkeys at one time, I don't think.

- If I buy the Viking steam oven, I have to do stainless. I wanted white ovens (I know that is passe, but I like that they would blend in with the cabinets and be less "showy"). Viking doesn't make the steam oven in anything but stainless

Choice 2:

- I would have to have our cabinets re-built slightly to allow the extra height required for the Sharp unit. The boxes have been built, so this would be an extra cost, but it doesn't look like a huge adjustment. (Needs another 2.5 inches)

- I have read that to use the regular microwave feature of the Sharp takes several steps in the interface, which will be annoying with all of the quick microwaving I do all day long (15 secs here, 30 sec there, etc.)

- BUT this appliance combination would be $1,000 LESS than Choice #1

- If I do the two regular ovens, I would want to order them in white, but I just learned that they take 4-6 weeks to manufacture so we would be living without ovens for a few weeks. If we do the other, I am forced into stainless, and everything would be available in 3 days.

Okay, what am I missing? Any opinions out there? Please weigh in! I need help!

Comments (5)