SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lila987

Roommate is inviting her boyfriend to live with us...

lila987
17 years ago

I'm in a difficult position with my roomate---we'll call her Mary. We've been living in our apartment (lease is in both of our names) since September of 2006 in a 2/2. Mary has the master bedroom and I have the 2nd (which I don't mind that much, I still have my own bathroom, but she does have a slightly larger room with a walk in closet). Her boyfriend has pretty much already been living here since November (spending the night every single night, etc.).

Now, I don't have a problem with him living with us. However, I do have a problem with the proposition that she wants...she wants her and her boyfriend to split her half of the rent (around $600) and pay 2/3 of the utilities (we pay for electric and our phone/dsl, both are in my name). However, that's a $30 difference on my part.

I'm already slightly irritated with the fact that he's been staying here for nearly 3 months, but due to things that were going on in their relationship I was giving them time.

Now when I had a conversation with her last night, I told her that I wanted them to each pay 1/3 of the rent and that they could split 1/2 of the utilities (so that I'm paying 1/3 rent and 1/2 utilities). She said that there was no way that they would do that because they could get a one bedroom apartment for that amount (1/3 of rent is $383). I don't think that it's fair for me to be paying nearly $600 for the same space that we're living in. They may be sharing a room, however 1) I didn't force them to make that decison 2) They are using more things than just the bedroom---our balcony, fridge, air, etc.

She then told me that if I refuse to comply with her terms that she wants to break the lease...now if we were to do that, it'd be a decent amount of money and I'm about ready to say that if it comes to that she will pay the full amount to break the lease. Besides, his name isn't on our lease...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions