SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onestudiodweller

High Gas/Electric in Studio Apt?

18 years ago

Hello guys,

This is my first post here. I moved into my first place recently - a small studio apartment and the gas/electric bill for Nov. was around $90 ($50 for gas and $40 for electric). I called the company to find out why the bill was so high since the Oct. bill was only $38. They said it was based on the month's usage and I said fine. I told them I never even turned my heat on, so how could the gas be so high. I was informed that gas is used whenever I turn on the oven or use hot water. I rarely use the oven, and I only use hot water to take my quick morning showers or to water my hands or do a few dishes here and there - no different from previous months.

I just received my Dec. bill and it was a whopping $157 (97 electric/$60 gas)! Again, no change in my usage. I even used LESS electric and didn't dare touch my HEAT because of the previous bill incident but the company swears my usage is correct.

For heat I use a programmable electric radiator, which comes on from 5:30pm to 12am and from 4:30am to 7am. The customer service rep told me that using the electric heater was a bad idea. However, I rarely used it in Dec. because of warm weather. I used it nonstop back in October and the bill was not high. I was told to check the meter myself, but I haven't yet. But I still don't get how my bills keeps increasing? I know I don't use that much gas/heat in this tiny dump. Can someone help me figure this out??? I feel confused and taken advantage of.

Thanks

Comments (8)

Sponsored