SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tumblingtomatoes

skink (lizard) left slime on top layer of seed starter in seedlin

tumblingtomatoes
15 years ago

Hi, maybe someone can give me some input here, (Dave any opinions??)

I have some small pots on the porch w/ seedlings about an inch high or so. (tomatoes of course among other things, lettuce, some herbs), yeterday a skink (lizard type critter) hopped into one pot with three tiny tomato seedlings, he burrowed under them, knocking them right out of the seed starting mix they were rooting in! He climbed out after a few mins. & I carefully put their roots back into the seed starter in the pot, watered them lightly & hoped for them to be okay. Well, thismorning I went to look at them, they appear to have a slimy looking residue on the top layer of the seed starter! Hmmmmmmm?????? Ewe, gross!

Is this from the skink? Is it something germy or salmonella related(aren't lizards & reptiples supposed to carry salmonella?)????? I am wondering if I should repot them in new seed starter, or do I dump them out altogether and start with new seeds? Okay,okay, probably sounds dumb right? Afterall, critters are always all through the garden where they will get planted one day, but it's the slimy - looking top layer that is getting me grossed out here? Thanks everyone!

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Honestly, I don't see that it is anything to worry about but if it bothers you just scoop the top layer of the soil off.

The greater problem, if I read your post right, is that it sounds as if you are trying to grow from seed in the same large pot or container the plant will be growing on in? Correct? It's best to sprout your seedlings in a seeds starting flats or some sort of small, shallow container and then transplant them deeply to the growing container at 6-10" in height. Check out the FAQ here on how to grow tomatoes from seed for more details if you need them and check out the many past discussions here too on how to grow from seed.

Good luck! ;)

Dave

• tumblingtomatoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dave & thanks for the reply!

I guess I wasn't clear about the pots, I'm not growing in the same large pot as I intend to keep them in, but a very small pot *a bit smaller than the size of a kid's soda cup from a fast food happy meal , so I guess is about 4 oz. pot* ( the kids helping put seeds into the little pots so some may have two seedlings in each little pot) & I'm gonna seperate & move them to the large containers (some & a few into the garden) as they get several weeks old......Or like you said 6 inches tall or so, this is what I did w/ the first ones & they are pretty good (I think & from what I can see & what I have read, but keeping in mind this is my first try at this )w/ nice healthy leaves, bright green, lot of flowering & several small fruit growing (but still green except for one of the cherry tomatoes which are beginning to get orange/red color on some) :)

So, the pot the skink got into was actually pretty small, it was a young skink about 4 inches long from snout to tip of tail. It was like the little guy went nuts in the pot digging all around & getting under the seedlings!
    I was thinking the whole time I watched him, "oh no! What are you doing you crazy lizard!" He is now relocated to the garden where he can munch on bugs of he likes!

******But I'll admit, I did read the section you mentioned about starting from seed, well...okay, okay......I skimmed it when I started to plant 'em & if I didn't......I would have actually tried to plant into the big containers from the get go****** :) (go ahead & chuckle at me now)
    Have a good evening & thanks again!

• tomatozilla
    15 years ago

Lizards don't make slime. The slime was left overnight by a slug or snail. If I were you and wanted to not have my baby plants devoured by slugs and snails, who are clearly checking them out, I'd sprinkle some SlugGo pellets around on top of the pots. SlugGo has been super safe in my experience, and really attracts and kills slugs. I couldn't germinate plants without it. Good luck.

• tumblingtomatoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Didn't even think about snails or slugs. :) I would up repotting these & moving them, they are doing good but will get some of what you mentioned for the slugs. Thanks again.