SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Lizard ID ...Iguana??

marilyn_c
15 years ago

My daughter's friend found this lizard following Hurricane Ike. She didn't want it, so passed it along to me. I am a wildlife rehabber and I get all kinds of animals, but never a lizard before. I believe it may be some kind of iguana. I just got it today, and it looks thin, altho it seems lively. I put it in a larger aquarium with lights and a heat rock, but I need to find a home for it, and knowing what it is would be a big help. Someone told me it is a Madagascar Iguana, but from what I read, they have a spot on top of their heads and are referred to as "three eyed iguanas".

I am hoping someone can tell me what kind of lizard it is. It has a blue-ish color around it's mouth. It's about 12 to 14" long, altho the tip of it's tail is missing.

Thank you for any info you can give me. I shredded some romaine and cucumber and gave it to him. I hope he will eat it. I know he looks dehydrated and I have put a large shallow dish of water in the tank with him.

Comments (11)

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Well..it is an Iguana species - but not any of the aforementioned species. It is actually a juvenile spiny-tailed iguana (Ctenosaura spp, probably Ctenosaura similis). These guys were introduced into FL and can be found established in several counties. They are hardy captives but can become rather aggressive once they get older. Hope that helps.
    ~Mike

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a tremendous help, Mike. Thank you. He ate all the food I gave him, which probably wasn't the best thing for him, now that I have read a little more. I will set about finding a home for him. I priced a 40 gallon tank, habitat for him and I am thinking if no one else steps up, my daughter's boyfriend is very conscientious and I may offer to buy the set up if he will take him. Hopefully that would hold him for about a year. I took the heat rock out (because I read somewhere that they can get burned on them). I put a heating pad under half of the aquarium. The substrate I used was some I just happened to get a bag of last week when I picked up donated food for the wildlife, and it said for reptiles....it's sort of like potting soil.
    He dug down into it and is closer to the heating pad, but at least he seems okay. I will spend today making arrangements to find him a home.

He was found in a northern suburb of Houston, Texas. Either an escaped pet, or maybe someone grew tired of him and let him go. You know how people are. :(

Thank you again.

• Related Discussions

ID needed - was told 'Lizard Tree'

Q

Comments (3)
    Susigz - type post photos in the search box at the bottom of the page and you'll get lots of help! I'd post it for you here but I don't know how to do that. Don't worry, it took me forever to figure it out and if you see my latest post, I still screw it up! Hester
    ...See More

Lizard ID - off topic

Q

Comments (2)
    Just a guess, but it looks like a Giant Amevia. They are established in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. The picture in this FWC article is not very good, but Google has several posted. This shows a good picture - http://www.wildflorida.com/wildlife/lizards/Giant_Amevia.php Does that look like your lizard? Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Amevia This post was edited by Crenda on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 16:05
    ...See More

what was that? lizard id needed

Q

Comments (7)
    Perhaps a juvenile Golden Tegu? These lizards can get big (3 foot long body alone) and like the monitor lizards, are invasive and established in Florida - especially around the Tampa and Miami areas. They cause the same type of destruction as monitor lizards, too. And you can still find them being sold as pets! I can't find a picture of a juvie, but maybe this picture will help you determine if this is what you saw, although it looks more yellow than orange to me. Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Tegu
    ...See More

Lizard ID...rated PG

Q

Comments (7)
    Originally heard in the context of folks (like plumbers) who work in the crawl spaces under houses... Lizards are great! If you have many lizards you are unlikely to have either lots of snakes or lots of spiders. [The rationale here is that lots of snakes would have eaten the lizards, and spiders would be eaten by the lizards. Either snakes or spiders are worse in dark, close quarters than lizards.] I also find that lizards, like frogs/toads, serve as a pretty good indicator of the health of my "range". If they're happy, things are in pretty good balance.
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay. Googled Ctenosaura similis. Gets big and mean. I don't think anyone is going to want this creature. Since they have been introduced into Florida and south Texas, would it live in an outside pen? I am getting ready to have a green house built next week and I can go ahead and have a habitat made for him. In the meantime, I can put him in that 40 gallon tank/habitat that I mentioned...would go buy it today.

I am not without financial means, so I can make it nice, if I can find something to read to point me along the way. I read that they like running water. I can put in a recirculating pump on a little pond. Willing to do this.

Will be doing a lot of reading. I have a lot to learn in a very short time. Any suggestions, I would appreciate.

• Day_By_Day
    15 years ago

Why do you feel compelled to take care of a wild animal for the rest of its life? Finding it doesn't automatically mean it must now live in captivity. There are times, when rehab is necessary, but chances are that without the proper environment and food, it won't last long. I'd say let it go and let nature take its course. One of the hardest things about rehabbing is that we feel we have to care for everything, even if the animal doesn't need it.

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Umm...that is a nonnative species to their area. Its origins are unknown and it there is a real possibility of it having a detrimental effect on the native species and local ecosystem, both directly (predating on native species) and indirectly (passing a pathogen on to native species).

Nonnative animals should not be allowed to remain in any ecosystem - they don't belong there and there are countless papers, countless incidences showing just how detrimental they are. In other words - this animal should BY NO MEANS BE RELEASED. In fact, the release or re-release of nonnatives is illegal in virtually every state. Just look at the state of Florida where the nonnative animals introduced by the pet trade and irresponsible pet owners are outcompeting the native species - that is certainly not letting nature 'take its course'. Anyone in Florida could certainly agree its not a pleasant or a "natural" situation to see their native treefrogs (green, squirrel) being eaten and outcompeted by nonnative Cuban treefrogs...I could cite many many more examples should you require it, as well as include papers from peer-reviewed journal articles supporting the stance.

Marilyn you are doing the right thing in ALL aspects - ethically, legally, and biologically - by looking for a responsible owner and NOT releasing it. Thankyou and good job

~Mike

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wouldn't release it. I'm sorry it has to live in captivity, but the only thing I can do is do the best I can to take care of it. I have been reading about iguanas all morning. It is a lot to take on. If I knew someone who was knowledgeable and would give it a home, I would give it away. I don't know anyone who is conscientious enough to do it. Not that there aren't plenty of people out there...I just don't happen to know any. If it was a native species, of course I would let it go.

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Marilyn - sorry - just wanted to clarify that my previous post wasn't aimed at you in the very least. Again, you are doing the responsible thing by not releasing that animal.

If you would like some more options as to care and whatnot - you've prooobably got a nearby or local herpetological society that might know of someone responsible who would take it off your hands. Now, while they can get quite aggressive, they are nonetheless interesting, impressive animals (rather personable and curious) and make good display animals at zoos. A local nature centers might also be interested if they have setups showing "Exotic Species". Then again, sometimes these unwanted rescues end up having silver linings to them - I've got a few animals that I took in as rescues and couldn't get rid of initially that I've become quite fond of (even if they are still a pain in the butt at times...haha).

As for enclosures, you could possibly make a relatively cheap, large, outdoor enclosure for the animal which would solve many many problems and keep costs and maintenance down to a minimum. Since Ctenosaura are excellent diggers, I would recommend making what is basically a wood-framed (1"x1" pine wood beams work well) box that is enclosed on ALL sides with a lockable, hinged lid. I'd also probably use 0.5" x 0.5" heavy duty wire that is stapled to the wire frame. Dig a hole, sink the enclosure in there a bit and fill in with dirt - this way the animal can behave naturally and dig, but not escape. You could also landscape it with some boulders and plants...make yourself a neat little outdoor enclosure that I'm sure you'd end up enjoying.

Here's an example of an enclosure that I made for my turtles if that helps you visualize what I'm talking about at all - I would just recommend making a wood frame and keeping the rest wire though. This cost about $100 to make and measures around 9x4 feet and 24" tall. It cost a little more than what you'd make because I used cedar (the moisture levels here would have rotted pine in a couple years).

Here is another enclosure I used (for turtles) that is more suitable for a lizard. What you can't see is that the enclosure is totally enclosed - that enclosure is essentially a wire box that is sunken into the ground.

Hope that helps and gives some encouragement.
    ~Mike

• Day_By_Day
    15 years ago

Mike, I wasn't going against your post. I just read that she found it outside so I said, let it go back where it came from. I agree that non native species should not be encouraged to multiply, but I also think putting this wild animal on life support is a waste of time, resources, energy and money. If that's the case, it should dispatched just like the Cubans and Canes, because the "next" person who inherits this thing will let it go when the food, lighting, vet costs get too high.

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

If someone chooses to keep it alive in captivity I would personally see that as preferable to euthansia. The "next" person who inherits the animal and subsequent occurrences you brought up are all 'if' situations - and since this person seems to be quite willing to maintain it responsibly, then I say go for it. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
    ~Mike

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Garr...wanted to mention this as well....

By keeping the animal in captivity, you've removed it from the population - ecologically it is a dead animal - it can no longer reproduce. Functionally, ecologically, this option is the same as if she were to dispatch it. The time, money, and resources put into maintaining it are all hers to spend as she wishes.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

Why don't you find, someone on a herp site- there plenty of them out there online.

mIkeygraz is right, its her money,she can do what she wants.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert