SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishandflowers_gw

bullfrog in pond, need advice for winter

15 years ago

Hi all! I'm in SE Wisconsin. We dug a small (200gal) pond this spring, and with all the flooding we had a young bull frog made his way to our pond. He left during the breeding season, then has come back, and defends "his pond" from our squirrels and chipmunks by croaking at them loudly when they come too close. He also seems to "talk back" to use when we're speaking in lower toned voices in the house!

Anyhow, since he left before, I'm assuming he's smart enough to leave to hibernate where there's enough mud for him to do so? If not and he's sticking around too late in the season, is there anything I can do for him? I really don't want to bring him inside as I don't have a good way of brumating him myself (hubby will NOT let me use the fridge for that purpose!) and I don't want him to become un-relaeasable.

We are going to employ a pond heater for the fish, but that will only keep a small hole in the ice open for gas exchange, it will not keep the pond warm.

Could I possibly sink a large pan of mud in the pond for him to burry himself in? The pond is 16" deep only, so I worry about him being too icy. Or, should I take him to the creek I'm sure he came from originally?

Again, I did not capture this frog, he came on his own, left once, then came back. I just want to make sure he doesn't die overwinter.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional