SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Box turtle dilema

marilyn_c
17 years ago

I need some advice please.

I rehab wildlife. Yesterday I went to the animal shelter to pick up a possum, and they also gave me a box turtle. The box turtle is very healthy, and I doubt it was anyone's pet because most that I have seen in captivity aren't well cared for, and don't look anywhere nearly as good as this one.

My dilema is this. I want to turn it loose, however even tho I live in the country, on a bayou, 12 miles from town...have a

mixture of open pasture and woodlands around me, box turtles are scarer than hen's teeth around here. So much developement in surrounding areas...I guess that has cut down on their numbers.

Anyway, I can set it free here...altho there probably isn't another box turtle around for miles.

I can take it to a wildlife preserve...there are several around me, but one is mostly prairie, and I wonder if that might be too hot an environment for him.

Someone I know maintains an exhibit at one of the parks, but I hate to give him to someone who will keep him in a glass aquarium for the rest of his life.

I would like to set him free...I think he has always been a wild turtle and might not adapt well anyway.

This may seem like a small thing to stress over...but I need to know....should I just set him free here on my place...I have 50 acres not close to any very busy highways and open land around me. Should I take him to one of the wildlife refuges and set him free there? If so, should it be one that is more woodlands than prairie?

The one that is near here that is mostly prairie looks awfully hot.

Okay....what do I do? And thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting