SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chubbles_gw

Nasty maggoty fungal expulsion

chubbles
19 years ago

This might better be listed in Name that Plant, but we like disgusting things in this forum. This weekend, several pencil-thick black flexible 'fingers' arose out of a sandy embankment in my yard. From underneath, gelatinous light-brown ooze erupted from the earth and it was alive with various maggots. I could distinguish at least 3 different kinds of maggots, probably numbered in the 1000s. Soon, various diptera arrived to samples the oozings. I couldn't really smell anything, although I didn't allow any of my orifices too close to the disgusting seething mass.

Please help me ID this life-altering experience. Thanks

Comments (14)

• Day_By_Day
    19 years ago

Oh, that's just the Black Oil aliens from X-Files. Don't let them touch you.

• webkat5
    19 years ago

Could there have been a mole or something under the surface that died??? Doubt it....bet DBD is right....
    If it were me, I would investigate....gotta know!!!....Do you have access to a hazmat suit?
    Call OSHA....maybe they would let you borrow one.......and a tent. :o)

• Aaron_UK
    19 years ago

Sounds like some sort of stinkhorn fungus

• chubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL Webkat!
    It does sound like some kind of stinkhorn. I've never seen this gelatinous mass filled with maggots before though. There is a good 2 cups worth of the stuff. That's a lot of flies! Also, I always figured that stinkhorns 'trick' flies into fertilizing. I didn't realize they also provided a growth medium for the the maggots.
    I suppose that it is possible that something had died under the soil and a fungus grew out of the area. I haven't noticed anything that would resemble a bone or hair yet.

• webkat5
    19 years ago

Has this mystery been solved yet??
    Wondering.....inquiring minds HAVE to know! :0)

• chubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have been unable to find a 'stinkhorn' that even remotely looks like my fungus. Furthermore, although stinkhorns attract flies, I haven't found anything that serves as a vegetable growth medium for maggots. The mystery endures, and it is driving me crazy. I have also tried harder to find bones, hair, or teeth that would indicate a dead animal and have found nothing.

• Day_By_Day
    19 years ago

Any pics?

• chubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I will take one this weekend.

• webkat5
    19 years ago

Soooooo....where's the pic?

• Day_By_Day
    19 years ago

Hmmm, reminds me of the post "Hey, Larry, sorry no pic but what's this little brown moth?" LOL

• chubbles
    Original Author
    19 years ago

ahahah ... well, I looked at it this weekend, and it was pretty much dried up. The maggots are either all dead or pupating. DBD - I hope maggot filled fungal expulsions aren't as commonplace as little brown moths where you live! lol

• Enid
    19 years ago

stinkhorn fungus, for pics go to Floridata (TM) and look at the November Gardener's Journal, full of pics and comments...LOL

• webkat5
    19 years ago

Thank goodness! Mystery solved!

• socks
    19 years ago

Here's the link. Jack is rather funny!

Here is a link that might be useful: fungus

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions