SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

What kind of raptor is hanging around?

lindac
13 years ago

I have seen it maybe 4 times in the past 2 weeks. I have a very tiny new puppy so I am keeping my eye on the sky when I have her out.

I first saw the bird flying fast and low, about 10 feet high, across the yard. Looked like a Cooper or a Sharpie but bigger.

Then next time was a few days later and it was in a big tree about 400 feet from me being mobbed by crows. I couldn't get a glass on it.

Then later that day I was out with the puppy and saw a very large hawk shaped bird sitting in that same tree, I turned to go in to get a pair of glasses and he flew, fairly low making a "scree scree scree" noise. Had a narrow tail and that's about all I could see.

And yesterday about dusk it again flew out of another tree, making that same Scree scree noise as it flew.

I have seen bald eagles as well as an osprey sitting in that tree. We have the occasional Cooper;s hawk and a sharp shinned hawk...but this bird sure looks a lot bigger than either of them.

It's the noise while flying that has me puzzled. Never saw a raptor do that before.

Any ideas?

Linda C

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz