SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brigid32

tobacco hornworm battle story

brigid32
16 years ago

Okay, I found several of my tomato plants 1/2 eaten this afternoon, so I got out my trusty environmentally friendly insecticidal soap and started spraying, when suddenly part of the plant moved! It startled me so that I yelped and dropped the spray bottle! Luckily, none of my neighbors saw me, and upon closer inspection, it was the most enormous caterpillar I had ever seen, though rather fascinating, once I got over the shock of it. It was happily munching on a blossom as I watched, so I thought I would just pull it off and put it on the bird feeder, environmentally friendly gal that I am. I would like to have saved it, but, well, we were competing for food here, so someone had to go, and it wasn't going to be me. I figured at least I could feed a bird. Then I noticed the red "horn" and what appeared to be rather large teeth at the other end, so, since I don't know much about caterpillars, and don't know if they could sting or bite, I thought perhaps I should wear gloves. So, I got out my garden gloves, then thought maybe I shouldn't touch it at all -- could be poisonous-- so I searched around for a peice of cardboard to scoop it up with, which took a while. By the time I went back outside, it had started on a second bloom. When I tried to scoop it off, it actually lunged at the cardboard and bit it repeatedly! It had some chutspah (sp?), anyway. I could not get it to let go; it hung on tightly with its back feet as it repeatedly whacked my cardboard with its head, making a thud and nearly knocking it out of my hand with each whack. It was like the Arnold Schwartzenneger of bugs! I then had the idea to spray it with my soap, hopefully killing or at least stunning it sufficiently to knock it off the plant. This would, of course, make it unsafe to feed the birds, but at least my tomatoes would be saved. It didn't seem too fond of the spray, curling up to protect its face, which inhibited it somewhat from the lunging and biting it was enjoying before, but it still refused to let that plant go, even as I banged it with my cardboard shield. I realized the only way was going to be to sacrifice the sprig it had attached itself to. It was for the greater good. So, I went to the shed and got out my lang-handled tree pruners (the smaller rose pruners would have put my hands too close for comfort)and lopped it off. The little guy fell to the ground with a thud, I scraped him up on my cardboard, and depositd him in the trash can on top of the bag of dog poop I scooped up earlier this morning. When I went back a few minutes later to drop an empty box of snail bait in the trash, there he still was, trying in vain to climb out. I almost felt sorry for him. But not much. Now that I think of it, I should go back out and put a weight on top of the lid. That guy was strong.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor