SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidandkasie

help me get rid of venomous snakes

davidandkasie
18 years ago

we bought our house in early March and have only seen 1 snake until yesterday, and it was a non poisonous water snake. Then I killed 2 water mocassins in less than 2 hours yesterday. one while cleaning off a ditch bank, i would have let him live but it was right next to my drive and my 1 year old loves to walk in that area, and the other was ON my back porch. i went to walk the dogs at dusk and almost stepped on him as i turned the corner. one of my dogs had to have stepped right over him, and he did not get aggressive until i pinned him with a broom handle.

i don't mind non-venomous snakes, but these poisonous ones have to go.

are there any methods that will either kill them or run them off to some other area? i am cleaning off the ditch bank to cut down on the high grass. i am also in the process of tearing out the overgrown landscaping. both of these combined should help, but i am just wondering if i can do anything else? if it were just me and my wife, i would not worry as much, but with a toddler i am determined to do anything i can to get them out of my hair.

someone mentioned sulphur and mothballs, but that seems to me to be a very temporary fix.

i also have MANY trees and shrubs, most of which i want to keep. i just do not like the idea of having a snake fall out on my head when i am mowing!

Comments (16)

Sponsored