SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori239

Do snakes eat LARGE koi fish?

lori239
11 years ago

Hi - I live in southeast GA where we have plenty of snakes in this part of the country. I am an animal lover but unforunately, terrified of snakes. I do know that I am not likely to be bitten as long as I watch where I step and leave them alone. My dogs are my concern! I have a koi pond where several of the fish are about 18" or larger, however, there are a few smaller ones in there.

A while back we had 2 of the smaller fish go missing within a short period of time. They were probably about 8 - 10". I thought raccoon, heron...however, neither very likely in my yard. Yet I have seen snakes around the koi pond and there was one there yesterday (didn't get a good enough look to tell what type, it slithered into bushes.)

What type of snakes are most likely to eat koi, can they eat ones the size of the ones that went missing, and do venemous snakes eat koi? My doggy run is not far from the koi pond and that is my biggest concern! I have 3 curious dogs who are my family and I would be devastated if any of them were bit by a poisonous snake. There is no emergency vet out here in the country... :o(

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida