SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fmouse

Volunteer Sweet 100 Tomatoes

fmouse
10 years ago

This year I planted about a dozen tomato plants in our garden. I dug holes about a foot deep and filled them with well-composted soil. As my wife suggested, I put a paper diaper in the bottom of each hole to retain moisture, and a piece of 2 in. pipe in it so that water could be delivered directly to the roots and the absorbent diaper in the bottom of the hole. Each plant had a ring of plastic from a 5 gal. bucket around it, and the soil level in the ring was above the level of the garden, so each plant was effectively in its own raised bed. I watered them daily when they were young, and every several days when they got large and started bearing. They put on a lot of fruit in the late spring and early summer, and then pretty much gave up, and as the weather got very dry and hot here in central Texas, the plants died, in spite of regular, but not too frequent watering.

I have an area that I've cleared for an additional garden, not yet tilled. It seems that before I cleared it for a future garden, birds or squirrels had taken a couple of last year's sweet 100 tomatoes and pooped out the seeds, or buried the fruit, in an uncultivated area, and a couple of tomato plants came up on their own. I believe I watered them only once during the entire hot, dry summer but basically I just left them alone. They got water from the occasional summer rainstorm that we have here in this rather arid region. The larger of the two plants is doing incredibly well and is producing lots of sweet tomatoes. The plant has never been "caged" and sprawls all over the ground. It produced tomatoes even during the hottest, driest part of the summer, and is now the only producing tomato plant I have here.

My question is, what's the secret here? Why would a neglected, un-watered tomato plant do so much better than one which was carefully tended? What can I do next year to get _all_ my tomato plants to grow like this?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH