SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tansyjane

toad habitat in the city?

TansyJane
19 years ago

We are gradually making a wildlife habitat in our urban backyard. I'm fairly content with the cardinals, woodpeckers, catbirds, robins, etc that come to our feeder and birdbaths, and our native foodplants, and I do have some butterfly hopes in the years to come, but I'd be delighted beyond measure to host some toads. Is this possible, or do toads need a large area to roam? My neighborhood is almost all single-family homes with small yards, and we have plenty of mature trees. We're close to a park with a stream (with badly polluted water) and two of my neighbors have seen snakes in their yard recently. (I'd be happy with snakes as well, and wouldn't at all mind a few snails!) I have the book from the NWF about creating a backyard habitat, and thought I'd set up a few 'toad halls' but I'd hesitate to relocate a toad unless I knew it could be happy and healthy in this space. Actually, I'm hesitant to relocate any wildlife, but I have such fond memories of the numerous toads that hopped about the neighborhood I grew up in. Any thoughts?

Comments (2)

Sponsored