SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Great Horned Owl Calls?

ohsoblue77
11 years ago

Moved from Bird Watching Forum:

I'm a young bird watcher but have been at it for at least 10 years, if not more.

A few evenings ago, me and neighbors noticed something strange making noise. It occurred from dusk until well after 10 pm. The call is a "eek" kind of screech that is given every few minutes. The neighbor figured it was a bird that lost its mate. We noticed it coming from different places, so knew it was a mobile creature. From the start I figured the distance signified it was a hawk or owl.

Today I finally tracked one of the calls in my back woods to a tall Ash tree. There was some agitation calls too. A HUGE raptor, Un - Identified, flew off, followed by one or two more. I only got a glimpse of something while perched. I could almost make out the head of an owl.

Has anyone else heard this before? This is the 1st time I've ever heard such a call, and I've lived out here in the country, In N.E. Ohio, for about 5 years. I've been busy but gave in because I kept hearing it, not knowing what it could be. Again, it starts around dusk and lasts a good while into the night. Seeing the large bird, despite low lighting, gave me a narrow-down list. I listened to GHO voice on Cornell's bird guide, and besides the obvious hooting, the juvenile call seemed to be as close a match as I could get.

Never in past summers can I remember hearing such things. The hooting I've faintly heard late at night for the past 2 years. I'm also a conservationist for Tree Swallows and Eastern bluebirds.

Great Horned Owl sounds - Cornell - http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Horned_Owl/sounds

~Tim~

Comment (1)

Sponsored