SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natureboymv

Frogs waking up too early!

natureboymv
15 years ago

Hi guys, Im new to this site, and have enjoyed reading what I have found so far. I found this site while looking for an answer to a question I ran into this afternoon.

I was enjoying the late winter sunshine and unseasonable warmth sitting by my koi pond, when I was surprised to see 2 beady eyes sticking up above the water, I was astonished to see this little guy so early! As I looked more I found 2 more frogs that have decided its time to find some food and get this breeding season going!

The problem is, I live in Massachusetts where its been fairly cold all winter, I had ice in my pond up to 3 days ago. yesterday was about 50 degrees and today was close to 60! But, alas this is New England, and tomorrow calls for snow, freezing rain, and freezing temps again.

My question is, are these little guys gonna be ok? I have NEVER seen frogs wake in pond until mid april when I usually stir them up from the bottom while opening my pond... Will they go back into hibernation? or Estivation? There are NO bugs to eat and Im afraid the pond is going to ice over again. (I do have the pond set up so there is always an open hole for gas exchange.)

Thanks for your advice!!

-Keith

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH