SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meso_gw

Mmmmmm, Oppossum!!!

Meso
20 years ago

I drove by this Red Tail snacking on a road kill Oppossum. I just had to turn around and get a shot of him as I drove slowly past. He was not about to leave his "prize".

Comments (19)

• chickadeedeedee
    20 years ago

"Hey, Ma...Weese gonna have us some possum stew tonight!"

Nice capture!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Oppossum.......

• clairer
    20 years ago

Great picture..sure is a beauty..Claire

• gingerhill
    20 years ago

Wonderful Shot!

• beth_ontario
    20 years ago

Great picture. Glad you turned around.

• Blake_Iverson
    20 years ago

Good picture, feel sorry for that RT eating that ugly possum though. ;-)

Blake
    WA

• rampager98
    20 years ago

As nice a picture as it is it holds a bit of ironry in it as well. RTs are very opportunistic creatures by habbit and are related to your common buzzards and have been known to feed right along with them. But a healthy RT perfers to hunt and kill its food. A RT that has brought itsself to eating road kill is probably on the verge of starvation. Another factor supporting this is the fact that it is a Mature bird that has had plenty of time to realize that humans and cars are bad business, as far as they are concerned. By him not abandoning the "prize" it shows that he is more concerned with eating than his own protection. But I do have to commend you on a well taken picture it was almost as if he were posing for it.

• Blake_Iverson
    20 years ago

Common buzzard you mena by vulutre (for those in Europe). If you want to get REALLY technical, the red-tailed hawk and other buteos are not "hawks" they are buzzards. A hawk refers to accipiters. That's getting seriously technical and the oldies (at leats in falconry) sometimes refer to the RT as a buzzard. :-)

Blake
    WA

• Scott_NorthernNJ
    20 years ago

Rampager,

Blake's right...there's no such thing as a buzzard in the USA. There are Buzzards in Europe that are very similar to our Red-tail in the Buteo genus and are their closest relatives. I think you might be referring to the Vultures and their habit of eating roadkill...but they're not related to Hawks at all. Recent systematic studies have shown they are most closely related to storks in the family Ciconiidae.

Scott

• quacker4duck
    20 years ago

I can see why so many end up getting hit by cars.

• lilpanda
    19 years ago

When I clicked on the link, I was unable to view the pic. I'd be interested in seeing it.

• Meso
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just uploaded the picture back on to my site.

Chris.

• lilpanda
    19 years ago

Thanks for reposting pic. Great shot!

• richardzone7maryland
    19 years ago

Nice shot. If its a matter of eating or not eating hungry birds will resort to roadkill. Hopefully this redtail doesn't wind up as roadkill.

Richard

• duckwatcher
    19 years ago

Wow that's a fantastic photo!

• dakster
    19 years ago

He looks as if he is saying, "ya wanna make something of it?"

• richardzone7maryland
    19 years ago

It is a real nice shot. The Red Tail evidently was hungry and wasn't going to pass up a free meal. Me personally, I would have to pass on possum.

Richard

• Adgerlady
    19 years ago

Maybe technically there aren't buzzards in the U.S., but try telling that to some of the old-timers down here! You're considered a city slicker if you say "vulture", kinda like saying "violin" instead of fiddle!

• GawdinFever
    19 years ago

Send that guy to my house for dinner---found one munching under the bird feeders last night! We startled one another when I closed a window. And to think I was blaming a coon on stealing the seed cakes I made for the woodpeckers!

Susanne

• marylandmojo
    19 years ago

Turkey Vultures have always been called Turkey Buzzards in the South. (U.S.) My aunt in Virginia called me a "buzzard" once, when I was a teenager, and apologized for weeks. A refined lady calling someone a buzzard is about as bad as it gets, in the South. (No telling WHAT I had said or done.)
    I certainly agree with rampager. That's the boldest Red Tail I've ever seen, or one of the hungriest. In my area (Maryland-Virginia), I've never seen a hawk stay on a dead animal in the road while a car passed--that's unheard of. Last summer in Virginia, driving down a country road, I passed a power line right-of-way, and off to my left, about 50 yards away on the ground under the power line, sat a Red Tailed Hawk, a buzzard (Turkey Vulture), and a crow. The Red Tail was on a dead rabbit, and the buzzard and crow were at a respectable distance of about 15 feet away, each, just sort of waiting for seconds and thirds, I guess. I believe I got pictures of it. I had never seen three different predators around a small-animal kill, previously. I dont' know whether the hawk killed the rabbit, but I'm assuming it did. Possibly it was wounded by a car, and dragged itself 50 yards away. It's a cinch the buzzard and or crow didn't kill it.
    Twenty years ago, driving from Los Angeles to San Diego in the wee hours of the morning (at daylight) near San Diego, I rounded a curve on the interstate, and ALMOST hit a Golden Eagle flying off a road-kill jack rabbit. Just missed him by inches, but he was TRYING to get out of the way.

Sponsored