SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

honeybees took over the hummer stations and now they are dying

dirtgirl
16 years ago

Several weeks ago I suddenly had honeybees show up at the hummer feeders...I posted about it here if I recall. We are in a major drought and it's a scramble to be the first one to nectar at any surviving flowering plants. Many suggested I set out a shallow separate tray of sugar water for the bees. I did, and what happened was that my entire front yard became a bee destination. Despite an allergy to stings, I don't really mind this as long as I am very careful and move slowly and deliberately around them. I don't know if there was more than one hive involved, but I even took pictures of their gatherings, which look like swarms you'd see in the spring. THe hummers had no chance. The bees have been consuming a 64 oz pitcher of sugar water (same ratio as the hummers, 4:1) or more DAILY. And this is only in the pots and pans I have set out. They also cover the feeders so that the hummers can only try their best to feed. I have tried moving the feeders to various different locations and they are relocated within about 10 minutes.

Then this morning something happened. I went out to check the level of feed in the largest pan and it was full of about 5 inches of dead and dying honeybees. I have no idea what caused this. I have very seldom seen a bee fall into the feed and drown, and I always lay a small twig across the surface anyway, just in case. I had not filled this pan from last night anyway so it could not have been a drowning deathtrap. THere are still bees at the other feeding sites. just not as many. I am guessing a few hundred must have been in the bottom of the pan.

I have been reading about colony collapse and of course there are other things affecting hives nationwide as well, but I wonder what the heck happened?

BTW, the nectar is the same as in all the feeders so I know it was not a contaminated batch.

Comments (3)