SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brazosvalleygardener

Pictorial timeline of my fall growout

Hello All,

I've read where fall gardening seems to be a questionable time of year to grow tomatoes and for some of us, it is. Depending on where you live fall gardening is not an option due to local climate conditions. Where I live though, fall gardening is excellent and so much so, that I submit it is as good and can be better than gardening in the spring. As some have probably noticed, I don't generally follow the rules of gardening such as average frost dates, minimum sunlight requirements, what particular varieties do best in a given area, etc. And I have not been dissappointed with what I have experianced. Fall gardening can present challenges but no more so than gardening in the spring.

So I thought I would start a thread where I would keep it up to date with photos and gardening notes for the fall season on a weekly basis. Below I will start by posting a photo of the initial planting and then add photos to bring it up to the current status. Though I have more tomato plants in the garden, I'm going to keep the pictorial timeline specific to the two rows of tomatoes in the photos below. The main reason for this is to post photos that will show the plants as close up as possible while keeping all of the plants in these two rows still visible. If I were to include all rows in a single photo, the plants would not be very clearly seen especially at the early stages of growth.

To start things off here is a photo of the initial planting on September 9th.

{{gwi:1388354}}

Here is a photo taken on September 17th.

{{gwi:1388355}}

Comments (75)