SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesli8_gw

:( my greenhouse dipped to 40 degrees last night

lesli8
10 years ago

Texas had its coldest night this winter (fall?) last night, tonight will be colder, my greenhouse although I had a radiator style heater in there on wide open, it got down to 40 degrees in the greenhouse. I have a greenhouse full of tropicals, are they all going to be toast? I have two large ficus, a fiddle leaf fig, a variegated rubber tree, begonia, orchid in full bloom-2 spikes right now. Ferns of all sorts of ivy's, bromeliads, and so on. Before now I have been successful keeping it at about 60 degrees at night on just 600watts setting half way on the thermostat. But the norther blew in in the morning and got colder all day and was overcast so the sun never warmed it much over 60 during the day. TOday the sun is shining and it is up now to about 60 degrees, and I suspect it will get much warmer.
Nobody has dropped all their leaves yet, but I know it could still happen. My orchid still looks wonderful, but I worry that tomorrow all the blooms may fall off.

I have a 100+ year old house that we heat with a wood stove, that we haven't really burned yet this year. Cold Nights outside = cold nights in my house, so moving very many sensitive things into the house won't do them much good. I do have some clear Christmas lights will those make a difference? I am thinking a woodstove in the greenhouse might not be a terrible idea.

Any ideas for a greenhouse newbie in TX?

DH hasn't gotten electricity hooked up in the greenhouse yet, hopefully soon, so we are running heater on a large electric cord. DH thinks we need a larger one and that it will help the heater work better?

Comments (8)