SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alley_gw

I have some questions

alley
16 years ago

I have several questions pertaining to flower pots and winter here in north texas. I have several plants that have not been planted out yet as I don't know where I want them to be.

1. Should I just put them in the ground and let them grow, and then move them when I have a permanant spot for them (I need to rent a tiller and make some serious new beds--I have seeds planned too for the spring), or should I leave them in pots until I know where they go for good?

2. The ones that are in pots--if they are hardy perennials and fine in the ground, does that mean I can leave them in the pot outside, or should I bring the pot in for the winter? (I'm thinking about the fact that the air circulating around the pot is colder than the ground temp--or something like that).

3. I have a few trees (thanks Weldon) that are about 2 or 3 feet tall (I have some others from the arborday.org that are not much bigger than twigs with leaves). They haven't been planted out yet as my hubby won't commit to where he wants them (he has to mow around them). I know they are probably fine in the pots for a while longer (after all, I see much bigger ones in pots), but do I need to bring them in too, or will they be fine in pots outside in the winter?

I have also experienced some serious winds here. I'm sure that might be more of a problem than the cold. Anyway, any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. This is my first year really getting into gardening and have several plants and don't want to lose them.

One last question: When is it too late to plant outside? I'm seeing people are still planning on planting and it is november.

Thanks for any help.

Alison

Comments (2)