SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diydana_gw

banjo minnow

diydana
19 years ago

Has anyone tried banjo minnows for fishing?

I hope it is okay to ask that question here.

Thank you for all replies.

:)

Comments (12)

• jersey_ponder
    19 years ago

Welcome aboard!!! I will ask my hubby when he gets home if he ever used them or knows about them. You can ask anything here, we don't bite...:)
    Where in Ohio do you live, we used to live in the Columbus area in '78-'79. Talk about snow and cold, we got it and got a lot. We used to go ice fishing all the time, it was so much fun. Caught a lot of yellow perch ice fishing one day. Brought them home, cut and cooked, tasted so good. Never had them again after we moved to NJ, guess maybe they don't live in this area. I remember they were quite small though.
    Dale....Have you ever caught them and if so do you like the taste I remember them tasting pretty good.
    Lynda

• dalew
    19 years ago

didyana - I seen a review on them at (do a google search)

http://www.hunting-fishing-gear/

otherwise, I wound'nt know one if I fell over it! Besides, that's a bait for a spin cast rod and, of course, that goes against my religion! (I'm into the fly fishing choir) LOL
    What I would use with a fly rod to simulate a minnow would be a "streamer".

Lynda - you betcha I know about yellow perch, and you are right, they are a great eating fish ... along with their bigger cousins, walleyes. You ought not to have done that to me ... now I'll have to find some excuse to see if there might be some possible excuse to go "look" for some.

Dale

• rustipup
    19 years ago

Personally, I have only had success using banjo minnows while singing "BLUEGRASS" otherwise, no much luck... :)

• diydana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You guys are too funny. My dad is a big fisherman...spare time that is. I am looking for a good Christmas gift.
    Fishing stuff.
    I live near Akron/Cleveland in Medina county.
    Walleyes? Yup...good fishing in these parts.
    Steel head is one they try to catch here a lot too.

• rustipup
    19 years ago

Is it just me? Or, does FISH taste way better when you are camping? Even if you don't like fish, you better yum it up when your little one catches one and you cook it.

I find that if you don't like fish, you can hide it by dipping it in eggyolk and crushed potato chips and frying it. Not too bad that way. nice and tasty.

• dalew
    19 years ago

rustipup - what kind of fish are you cooking?

• rustipup
    19 years ago

Trout. I dip them in egg yolk and then, into a bowl of crushed potato chips... then, fry them in butter. this is with the filets. Other fishies taste better. Trout skin is kinda bad tasting, to me. I like filets, even though this wastes the meat. Catfish filets also, this way.
    tastes like a big fritter!

• jersey_ponder
    19 years ago

My hubby has been fishing his whole life and doesn't eat fish. I and my oldest son love it. I don't like to fish too much, well not if I have to use live bait, can't stand the squirming thing. I can handle lures, corn, dough balls or chicken livers.
    I think my fav fish is cooked on the grill with lemon drizzled on it with pepper. So good and flakes right off the bone if cooked right. I'm not big on frying any fish. I guess if you don't care for the taste though, thats the way to go. I haven't found a fish I don't like yet.
    Lynda

• dalew
    19 years ago

rustipup - I have a couple of different methods of cooking trout depending on their size. For openers, the smaller ones are the best eaters, like 9" to 11" for example. My favorite "eater" is the brook trout which is the native trout for the Smoky mountains. Here I just pan fry them, using no batter of any kind; using a mixture (if possible) of 50% butter and 50% margarine, and pan frying them for about three minutes on each side. I don't think there is any better eating than this anywhere! For larger trout, like brown trout for example, say one in the 22" range (I should be so lucky!), I'll steak the front part of the trout and grill them on charcoal - again, no batter. As for the skin of the trout I just discard it in the cooking process - it's that pink trout flesh that's so delicious!

For other fish like bluegills, perch and walleye (for example), I do use a batter. In fact, like your egg yoke & potatoe chip I have used simular - only used regular soda crackers instead of the potatoe chips. I'll have to give the potatoe chip thing a try.

Always interesting when talking about cooking fish and what makes them taste better, is this - all fish ... again, ALL FISH, taste better with their heads on during the cooking process than with their heads off! The only way anyone can prove this is to cook the fish both ways (if possible). In the same pan, using the same method, cook one fish with the head on and another with the head off ... and simply apply the proven taste test method! I was amazed when an old fishing buddy (no longer with us) proved this to me some years ago. And it makes no difference what kind of fish it is, fresh water or salt water.

Dale

• rustyj14
    19 years ago

Years ago, i used to travel up to north west Pennsylvania to fish for trout! We'd sleep in the station wagon, then get up early to get ready for start time! Was 5 a.m., but the yuppies got that changed to 8 a.m. to help them be awake for it! there was a neat little crick there that always held good sized trout. We'd usually catch 3-4 apiece, then clean and filet them, butter a hot skillet, and fry them for breakfast! YUMM-YUMM!!
    But, over the years, the fish commision has changed all of the rules, raised the trout license and regular license so high i can no longer afford it! And the booklet that we used to get with our license had 10 pages, was 2x 3 inches. Now a days, the book is 8.5X11, many more pages, and regulations, they tell us not to eat trout out of the cricks, only eat 1 a week if we do eat any, This section of crick is natural bait, 10 feet further down is lures, ten feet after that is artificial bait, and on and on, until i finally threw the whole book away, gave away my fishing gear and gave it up! I had my life regulated to that extent with 3 years of army life--i refuse to have my recreation treated the same way! So, i took up the banjo!
    by: Rustyj

• rustipup
    19 years ago

A guy just won two banjos on Price is Right. What are you gonna do with two banjos?

I would love to learn to play the banjo.

minnow happy returns of the day, y'all!

• rustyj14
    19 years ago

Hey, Rustypup! I suppose that guy could use one at home for practice, and use the other one at local jamm sessions, etc. Or, play one until it wears out, and then get the pristine one out for stage work. Mine, i use it for everything--jams or stage work. Paid $450 for it, just got an offer of $900! but, it ain't for sale, until i croak! And, i'm having too much fun to do that at this time. As for the banjo minnow--i've never seen one, but are they sort of fat around the middle, with "whiskers" running along each side?
    by: Rustyj

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES