SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustipup

Pine Valley, Utah

rustipup
18 years ago

http://usera.imagecave.com/mochajo/

Great place to camp! I just live down the road so I go there quite often. Non-typical forested ponderosa pines fill the campground which is layed out very intimately. This place is 6600 ft ele. and sets nestled in the north side of Pine Mountain; which towers over the campground with rocky crags and spires that climb to 10,000 ft.

It's so unusual to see this huge mountain, surrounded by desert. Nice respite in summer from the unforgiving heat of the upper Mojave. (although I love the heat..)

I hiked up to the summit last weekend. 3400 ft ele gain from the trail head. There is over 50 sq miles of wilderness up there to explore. Sorry, no ATV or vehicles up on the mountain. THis is a tough hiking area because of the elevation. I was getting dizzy when I hit 8900 ft on my gps. Hiking through the quaking aspen which drop gold coin-like leaves was very pretty. The campground is not private. It is run by the Dixie Natl forest. I had been wanting to hike up to the summit since I moved out here. Too bad it snowed like crazy at the peak. Once down below into the forest below 8,000 ft it had only rained. This place is awesome! I wish I had a week up there to backpack into the wilderness area. When I have friends come and want to camp, I send them there. It is only 30 minutes from Snow Canyon or other campgrounds below 4,000 ft elevation. But, in summer, 6600 ft is just the right elevation to take the edge off of the summer heat. It would be in the eighties up there with little humidity while the other areas are well over 100. cheers,

hope you like the pictures, jerry

Comment (1)

Sponsored