SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

UPDATE: 12 month seed swap

beth_b_kodiak
18 years ago

As of right now, I have recieved envelopes from nine seed swappers. I shuffled them up like a deck of cards to determine the order. There should still be another batch on the way to me but I'm sending these to you by way of North Pole Mail later today.

Here is the list

1)Garden Witch, 2) hummingbirddaisy, 3)plantladyjan, 4)toomanyanimals, 5)Darlene87, 6)Cassicet, 7)veeja, 8)rudybacon, 9)Pattygrow5

Number one will send to two and two, to three etc. number 9, Patty, will send to number one.

If this seems confusing, just remember that the name and address of who you send to will be the return address on the card you recieve in the mail. Just in case something gets lost in the mail..... I made a list in a notebook too.

If for some reason, you have not mailed your card yet please try to get it out today

Comments (100)

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

Just a note to report that I got a bonanza of seeds from Doris( DJM906)in today's mail.
    Wow.....is all I can say. 5 packs of seeds in one month.
    I feel like it's Christmas all over again.
    Purple and rose colors..my favorites.
    Doris, thank you so much for your generosity.
    Bonnie

• number_1_angel
    18 years ago

Sent my seed packet and card to Doris today--post when you get it please!!--and did I misunderstand this exchange?? I thought we were to send one pkt of seeds and a card--and keep it simple?? Hope you are not disappointed Doris--if I am wrong --I will make up for it next time!!
    Happy planting!!
    Jeanette

• Related Discussions

12 Month seed Swap for May

Q

Comments (54)
    Hi Everyone, I'm running REALLY behind. Carol, I received the wonderful bunch of seeds and the lovely card. You sent so many. Thank you very much. I have had to take care of my daughter as she had to have surgery on her arm and was incapicitated for 3 weeks, hurt myself pretty bad helping her and I was out for a WEEK. Had to get 2 steroid injections and not move my shoulder for a week. It hurt to BREATHE even. We were a sight. Shaking my head. Anyway Darlene your package went out today. I hope you like the seeds and will enjoy. I'm sorry I'm late in sending and posting that I received mine. I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day. Cassie
    ...See More

12 month seed swap for September

Q

Comments (27)
    Jeanette.. You are not bad. you are good, good, good .. and I am lucky, lucky,lucky... to have gotten such a great seed packet this month. Not only did you send me some wildflower seeds and some Siberian Scilla bulbs which I have never planted before, but you sent me chocolate !!!!!Yum. I don't know what it is about women, but we seem to know when we need something like that and you sure sent it to me at a good time. Mondays are to me the worst day of the week but today I got your packet in the mail and it made the day much brighter......thank you . Don't worry about being late....it happens to us all. Thank you again. Bonnie
    ...See More

12 month seed swap November

Q

Comments (18)
    Sharon, you have always sent out seeds that I use, which is super. I grow a little of everything, annuals, perennials. I have a shade garden with hostas, ferns, hepatica, lungwort, wintergreen, etc. Then a huge sun type flower garden, with a lot of perennials and annuals tucked in, a lot of bulbs and some shrubs. I have a huge spot that "was" all dahlias, now I am searching for a nice shrub for it, maybe hibiscus or something that flowers. I also have a lot of hydrangeas, although I have only purchased 2, most are started by me, also 36 roses, a lot of rhodies and azaleas. Inbetween, I have a lot of lavanders, foxgloves, shasta daisies, and other plants. I am always willing to give new plants a try. Has anyone ever started cardoon plants? I have seeds from a neighbor, but have tried several times and cannot get them to sprout. Sharon, our family is all right here in town, they just go early to other homes, and spend the day. We are not upset over it, that is what happens as the kids get older. We have been married almost 50 yr. now, so well adapted to changes in life. Everyone have a nice thanksgiving, and be thankful for all the beauty that is around us. Darlene
    ...See More

12 month seed swap December

Q

Comments (43)
    Tina, thanks for letting me know. You've got me waiting on pins and needles now cause you know it is almost prime seed starting season! Yahoo! Beth, Another person is supposed to order seeds from Dowdeswell's Delphiniums Ltd (you can look them up on the web and salivate). Since they require you order 50 seeds of each type, she was looking for a couple of people to go in with her. She said she would get back to me toward the end of Feb, since that is when this company's new seed crop ripens. I'm really hoping this goes through. I've been having trouble with dampening off this year and I've been reading up on it since delphs are very prone to it. I've only grown the Delph's for a couple years and only a couple each year. They are iffy here. Seems like 1/2 don't come back the next year. We get pretty hot and humid here in Aug. But our cottage is in zone 5 and a much cooler area so I'm hoping I can get some of them to be perinneal there. :o) Your squirrel swap is so funny, I stop there often. I NEED a life! LOL sharon
    ...See More
  • beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I also, sent just one pack. I have ordered some "special" seeds as my pal likes fragrant flowers and in March I may send more than one so they are there in time for spring sowing. In general though I'll stick to one a month.
    I'm betting most of us have more seeds than we really need while we never have all the seeds we want. I never look at a catalog without wishing *:o) Such big dreams and hopes can dwell in a little pack of seeds it is a miracle waiting to happen.
    Lets keep this simple and have the main thing be thinking about and remembering each other faithfully each month.

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

Hang on sweet friends....I'd like to clear things up so there is no misunderstanding.
    Doris send me seeds in small quantities , no doubt from her own garden that she has grown herself. They were not sent to me in fancy store bought envelopes...just small, plain 2 inch seed packets gardeners use when they collect seeds.
    She hand-wrote the names of the seeds on the fronts of the envelopes so I would know what they are.
    What impressed me was the thought that went into each kind of seed she sent. She looked on my list of likes and sent me seeds in the exact colors I like...so, I think she was both generous, and kept it simple, just the way it's supposed to be.
    I did send my swap pal two seed packets this month..the same kind of flower, just two different types( colors) since I couldn't decide which to send to her, so I think I am keeping to the basic rules and simplicity for this month as best I could also.
    I agree with Beth, in that the most important thing to remember about this swap, is rememberance and commitment each month.
    Thank you again, Doris for this month's seeds.

Bonnie

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

My seeds and card goes out to Jan in the morning.

Tina

• veeja11
    18 years ago

does everyone know that seeds should be sent in a bubble envelope? They get crushed in regular envies, nothing worse than crushed seeds. oh goodie furry legs are in, this should make Mellen happy, little furry thing that she is.
    hugs carol

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Yep yep! ;-)
    I put my card and seeds in a bubble envie. The card is in it's own envelope inside the bubble envelope. Just makes it look prettier, smiles.
    Hope the New Year is treating all of you wonderfully!
    Hug's, Tina

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Hi Sharon
    You have not been forgotten!! Your package is ready and I will get it in the mail tomorrow!!

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Tina, Your card and seeds are on the way =) safely snuggled in a bubble mailer!
    Shannon

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Hi Shannon! I will post as soon as it arrives!
    Jan, your left this morning, also snug in a bubble envie :-)

Tina

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Thanks for the update Tina! How are you doing? I hope all is well with you and your family!! 50 and sunshine today!! Love it!!! Had the sunroof open and the tunes playing while driving today!! Felt like a kid! LOL

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

We are doing pretty good. We are 50 degrees here today as well. All 3 children was out jumping on the trampoline in jackets. Sure isn't the Iowa winter I am use to, but I am not complaining. I was just out puttering around in the gardens. Trying to dig up the cannas I didn't get dug in time due to the unexpected and extremely cold and snowy early winter. I have found 2 little pieces so far that are not all soggy and ruined. My Christ's light was rotted :-(.
    I'm not going to give up until every last one is dug, rotten or not. Digging on a leap of faith you might call it, smiles.
    Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. :-)

Basking in the sun,
    Tina

• cassiet
    18 years ago

My seeds went out today

Cassie

• djm906
    18 years ago

i'm sorry Bonnie, I just couldn't decide what to send, and you were right, these are seeds in small quantities. Group them all together and you would not have had enough to make one full pack. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings, but 8 or 10 tiny seeds in a pack didn't sound sufficent to me. Hence, I solved the problem by doing what I did.!

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

Doris,
    Please don't feel like you have to make apologies.
    I am delighted in what you sent..it is more than sufficient.I like very much that the seeds you sent are from your garden....it makes them special.

Bonnie

• mellen
    18 years ago

Ann(atravers), I received your card and seeds in the mail today. I am just thrilled with what you sent. I can't believe you actually sent rudbeckia chim chiminee. I am just soooo excited. I will wintersow a few and keep a few to sow this spring. Thank you also for the aster seeds. Yes, I will wintersow a few of the aster seeds, too. The pictures look beautiful. I love the card with the photo on the front. You are so talented. Thanks also for sending the darling seed envelopes. I will certainly use them! Ann, I am really looking forward to getting to know you. This is certainly a wonderful start. Mary Ellen

• veeja11
    18 years ago

My first seeds went out to Ruby today. hope you like them.I am having trouble finding your wish list

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

There is no need for concern or apologies on the seeds from Doris to Bonnie. Sounds like it was a very reasonable and well thought out gift and certainly appreciated.
    I don't want anyone ( especially ME) stressing out over trying to make a bunch of rules to cover all occasions and contingencies. Lets just trust our fellow swappers to send in the spirit of the swap so we can all enjoy both sending and recieving. I started with the back to basics and keep it simple theme and hope we can stay with that.
    Hope this message does not offend anyone. BB

• atravers
    18 years ago

Hi Mary Ellen (mellen).
    Glad you got my January card and seeds. I'm a rudbeckia lover too so I can appreciate your passion for these beauties. I'm enjoying this swap as it helps me to get through the long winter months. Flood warning out today with rivers overflowing their banks and a 30+ degree temperature drop expected overnight with snow coming and high winds along the edge of the cold front. Fickle January here in New England. Looking forward to planning your February card already.
    Ann

• darlene87
    18 years ago

I received my card & a nice pkg. of basil from Sharon, toomany animals. I love herbs, and grow them yearly. Except oregano, the ones I tried spread themself all over the garden, and yrs. later, I am still pulling them up. Anyone know of one that does not become a thug oregano? Thanks Sharon, I am anxious for spring, having Seasonal Affective Disorder, which means, it is time for me to go sit under my light for the treatment for 20 min. This is a nice swap, which is not too stressful.
    Darlene

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Plantlady, I'm looking forward to getting your card and seeds! I will be checking the mailbox each day now (we have one of those community lock boxes - hate it!)

Darlene, if possible please email me a few specific seeds you want. I'm thinking of putting in a seed order and would like to get some that you specifically want. :o)
    sharon/tma

• djm906
    18 years ago

Jeanette, Your seeds and card came Saturday. Thanks so much for them. I have never grown that kind before, so am anxious for spring to arrive! The fence is waiting! Doris

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

My seeds to garden witch are going out tomorrow instead of sending a card I sent something special that actually cost less than a card .So I can get away with that right. Patty

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Jeanette could you please come fix my tub, I need to take an orthenex bath. things are floating out into the hallway. you haven't figured how to plug in that computer yet? Is Mellen in this one?She is getting forgetfull she misplaced her son. I think it may be her drinking, or is that earthly? I paid for priority so my pal should have gotten my seeds saturday, darn p.o. hugs to all Carol

• number_1_angel
    18 years ago

Carol!!!!! Get that poor dog a water dish!!!!!!icky!!!!! I will send a maintenance man to fix your tub ASAP!! You need to quit letting those leg hairs go for a year before you shave them--it clogs up the pipes!!!! Now--do you want the old gray haired guy --or the young hunky one??????? Mellen would never misplace her son--on purpose--and Earthly is drinking?-what is she drinking? --and why didn't she call me?--it sucks to drink alone-Now you behave yourself--I miss being able to 'chat' with you too--
    Take care
    Jeanette
    THANKS TO ALL FOR PUTTING UP WITH 'US' AND OUR WEIRD 'SENSE(S)' OF HUMOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Ok angel, I'll take the hunky one. I didn't shave Beth says no need. Earthly call Angel she wants to join you. Mellens son went off to school, I think she may miss him. hugs to all carol

• mellen
    18 years ago

Yes, Mellen is here, too. I am just all over the place anymore. HI Jeanette!!! It's been forever, dear one!!! Council Bluffs now, right? Love the zoo over in Omaha. I see Vee there every time we go. I do not drink out of toilets. Yes, I miss my son very much. Hugs back to everyone. My card and seeds will be mailed tomorrow-Tuesday-to Beth. The way the mail is going, I hope it makes it there in the next month. ME

• veeja11
    18 years ago

okay Mellen what do you mean you see vee at the zoo? Next thing you know your son will be getting married. I did not say you were drinking out of toilets just hitting the sauce. as is miss earthly, I'm not sure about Beth. Ruby should have her seeds conf # says they got there today, hope you like them. hugs carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Veege, I'm NOT hitting the sauce. Think I might feel better if I did. LOL
    By the way, Jeanette, I'll take the old grey haired plumber. I always wished there was a plumber in the family. Do you know how much they charge??? Yikes. some doctor visits are less.
    Warm here today, back up to -18 from a chilly -32

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

I think Carol meant for the picture to mean that SHE IS DRINKING FROM THE TOILET!

Plant Lady Jan - Oh, how happy you have made me (remember that song?) You sent me Aster Florette!!! I will send some seeds back to you. I have a little yard so it is fine if you only send me a couple of seeds each month. That way you can keep some for yourself. :o)
    I love that valueseed.com! I was going to buy some from them, then Beth came up with this swap so I just put my wants from there on my list. But don't feel you have to get me those. I will love and grow any seeds you send!

We got some snow this morning - 1-2inches. I already shoveled my Dads place. Son will shovel ours after his midterm. It was great to get outside in the white snowy beautiful world!!!!

sharon/tma

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Okay Sharon, I used to think you were a sweet little thing.USED TO!!!I received 3 mind you 3 great pkgs of seed from my pal Cassie, I love them all, you can always get me with daylily or veggie seeds, and I got both. thankyou pal I love them. Thankyou, I am running out of room but need veggies and always find room for daylillies. jumping up and down carol, hope nothing breaks. thankyou Cassiet, you are the best.{{gwi:1317347}}Carol

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Thanks for the pretty card and seeds Tina!! I thought I had posted and viewing the posts tonight I didn't see it. Sorry about that. For all the others...Tina shared with me some canna seeds. I have never grown them from seed and I am looking forward to giving it a try! Oh Tina I updated my page but I couldn't post to the trade list page so I included it with the membership information. Sorry I didn't know where else to post them!! Thanks again Tina!! Take care!

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

I'm glad to hear that the seeds arrived and that you like them :-).
    I will go and check your list as soon as I am done posting here.

I received my wonderful card and seeds from Garden Witch today. I am excited about starting these seeds. She sent me Vities riparia = riverbank grapes off of my seeds wants list.
    The card she sent me is so beautiful. The envelope is covered in tulips, and the front of the card has Irises. The envelope had a special address label made with my name on it. She double protected the seeds by wrapping them in bubble wrap, and then putting them in a bubble envie.

Thank you so much Shannon. I love the letter you sent me as well, w/ the picture of your deck and plans for your new gardens. Thank you for sharing your home and gardens with me.

Tina

• cassiet
    18 years ago

Carol,
    I forgot to put your card in the envelope so it is coming separate but is on it's way. Will you please send me a list of the daylillies you already have. I copied your list and I know some seeds are hard to find but we do have 12 months. Smile....

Cassie

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Tina,
    Glad to hear you got the seeds =) I'm also glad I was able to find some left that our feathered friends hadn't got to first!

Patty... Should I clear a spot on my schedule for some reading time ?! hehe! I will let you know when your seeds come =)

Thanx again for hosting, Beth =D

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Hi I got my card and seeds from rubybacon thanks ruby I don't have any pentas at all nor do I have kaliedicope Thank you thank you. Patty

• veeja11
    18 years ago

did my pal receive her seeds ?I sent out 7 pkgs in different swaps only two posted received, but all confirmation numbers say they were delivered, am I sending bad gifts or what? confused carol

• mellen
    18 years ago

Carol, you have NEVER sent a bad gift as far as I am concerned, and I have received quite a few from you. I would feel very fortunate to have you as a pal sending to me. Just MY 2 cents. Hugs, Mellen

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Thankyou Mellen head, I feel a bit better now.I always pick extra special for you tho, or try.

• rudybacon
    18 years ago

Veeja,
    Hi, I did receive your seeds a few days ago but I couldn't get on this site to save my life. Thank you so much. Getting seeds makes me go outside and try to get my beds in shape for Spring. You said you couldn't find my trade list so I am giving it to you.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: my list

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Thankyou, happy to see you received the seeds. thankyou carol

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Jan, I want you to know that I have the Aster Florette seeds coming back to you. I split the seeds you sent, kept half and you get half.

You asked in your letter if we got snow, well here is the picture I took after we got the 4 inches on 18th. Basically nothing since then.

You asked about winter sowing also. I did my first WS bottle for the year today! I'm hoping the Purple smoke Tree seeds come up. I've had them for 2 years ... crossing my fingers! Hubby doesn't like the WS look, so I try to keep it down to 5 bottles. :o(

Looking forward to sending out the Feb. card.
    sharon/tma

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Patty, I got the seeds and little garden flag yesterday, thank you so much! Its just rite ;) Oh, and you have mail!

Here's the flag Patty sent....

{{gwi:1317349}}

I hung it out on the porch rite away, it's just perfect!
    Oh, and love the seeds too ;) devil's claw and two brug seeds, both perfect for my "Angel" garden =D

Shannon

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

I just wanted to share this with my gardenweb friends.
    Clyde (my fury son and best friend) was laid to rest 1/24/06.
    www.clocktimelesspets.com/detail.asp?ID=119
    or www.clocktimelesspets.com and click on guestbook
    I thank you in advance for your thoughts and prayers during this time of need.

• number_1_angel
    18 years ago

plantladyjan
    I am so sorry for your loss--our furry children/friends are our family--and are cherished and missed in the same way--if you haven't yet read it --take the time to read the rainbow bridge poem--I framed it with a picture of my baby(Tori)and I know she is waiting for me--
    My thoughts and prayers are with you,
    Jeanette

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Jan, what a lovely memorial for Clyde. A nice site. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm sure he leaves you with many heartwarming memories.
    sharon/tma

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is almost the end of the month, Has everyone gotten their seeds for this month?? If not, please let me know.
    Mellen, The seeds and cards arrived the begining of the week. Mimulus will be a new plant for me. My friend in Kodiak used them every year so they will be good reminders of both of you. Thanks a bunch and sorry I'm late posting.
    Beth

• mellen
    18 years ago

Beth, You are welcome for the seeds. Thanks for letting me know. I just figured that maybe it was taking extra time. I was sure hoping that the card wasn't lost, too. Thanks for putting a few more "ideas" on your "seeds want" list. Have been reading your cold weather posts with interest. Here in Iowa, we are having one of the warmest January's on record.
    Today it was in the 50's. More of the same or higher tomorrow. Truly unreal. I was outside with just a sweatshirt after school today. Beautiful!!! Have a wonderful week-end, pal. Mary Ellen

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Testing" just checking here to see if my messages are still comming thru with the notation that my email is blocked??? It never was before but this week just about all replies I have recieved have said that, including the ones I posted myself. Veeja is as usual, not blocked but the rest of you have been. Went back in to change that but??? Did it work?? Why did they mess with it in the first place???? GGGRRRrrrrrrrr.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm starting a new thread for February. Hope by now everyone has recieved for Jan. If you have not gotten yourfirst card and packet of seeds yet please let me know.
    Thanks and happy gardening, BB