SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laundryvet

Share great camping spots in the BWCA Minnesota

laundryvet
10 years ago

Snow is falling and what better time to start thinking about summer canoe trips. Was thinking of a trip back up to the BWCA, but wanted to try a different area than the ones I've been to.

Anybody been in the Gun Flint Trail side and can share some good camping and fishing spots?

I've most recently been through the Numbered Lakes loop. Start out at Lake One landing, through Lake 1, Lake 2, Lake 3, Lake 4, Hudson Lake and into Lake Insula, which had great 5 star camp sites and great walleye and small mouth fishing. Much of the way through we paddled through the Pagami Fire burn area. Best fishing/camping north end of lake. After Insula we paddled up to Kiana Lake and in to Thomas Lake, where the fishing was not so good. After that moved on through Hatchet Lake and into Lake Ima to a 5 star camp site on an island. Fishing ok. Next day down through Jordan Lake, Jitterbug Lake, Ahsuh Lake, Lake Disappointment, and finally into Snowbank Lake. OK camp site on the west side of Snowbank where we caught HUGE walleye and small mouth bass right near camp.

A few years before I did a long loop from Moose Lake northwest through the Basswood Falls and Iron Lake eventually down through Lake Agnes and Little Nina Moose Lake. Spectacular water falls, but a few long portages and BIG lake paddling. Incredible camp 5 star camp sites. Best fishing: area north of Basswood Falls in Basswood River and Iron Lake. Agnes has good Walleye action.

If ever planning a trip out this way I could share more details on route and camp sites. I was fortunate to be along with guys who had been to these places and shared the great sites to target.

Laundryvet

Comments (2)

Sponsored