SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomatolover_gw

Unable to identify unusual bird

TomatoLover
12 years ago

We live in central Indiana. Early this evening, a bird flew into our barn while we had it opened up. At first glance I thought it was a female cardinal, it was about that general size and shape. The bird was hard to see in the shadows of the barn and it would not perch for more than a second or two in one spot, but constantly fluttered back and forth. We spent some time trying to shoo it outside and even left the barn for awhile, but no luck. The bird refused to fly low enough to go out one of the open doors. After chasing it for awhile, we realized that it was not a cardinal, and after hunting though my birding reference material and searching online, we still have no idea what it is.

It was too dark in the barn to get a good photo. The bird is about the size and color of a female cardinal. It has a cardinal-like beak and a crested head, but the tail is longer than a cardinal's...more like a brown thrasher. There are distinctive light colored patches across the middle of the wings. My husband tried to take video of the bird but the barn was so dark that the video is grainy. Here it is on his You Tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbS1kAKTS0

We finally had to close up the barn for the night with the bird still trapped inside. Does anyone recognize this bird?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!