SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organicgardener_gw

Second clutch lost to snake

organicgardener
15 years ago

I am monitoring a bluebird trail at Jones State Forest in Conroe, Texas. Two of the nestboxes were on the exact same schedule for their second broods. I checked the boxes the very day eggs were hatching in both boxes. A week later nestlings in both boxes were fine. A few days later, one nest was completely empty of birds. Even though the pole was greased, it did have some rust on it, probably just enough for a snake to get a hold. I cleaned out the box, and really did not expect the birds to re-nest in the same box. Besides these birds are the nervous type that do not like me monitoring their box. Back to the re-nesting: they do not read the same books I read and proceeded to build a new nest and lay 2 eggs by the time I checked it again. Now I'm worried about the snake. I was leaving for Georgia the next day to visit my sister so I quickly called a friend who had helped me install the boxes on the trail. He took one box that had never been used with a stovepipe predator guard and installed it one foot away from the old box with the now 3 eggs. He then transferred the nest to the new box and removed the old box. The female never blinked. She proceeded to lay eggs number 4 and 5 on the subsequent days. So far, so good. Oh yes, the other box that was on the same schedule? Two birds fledged and 3 eggs were left in the nest. That pair is on nest #3 right now with 4 eggs.

Linda C

Comments (6)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor