SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stev32k

A real tomato plant mystery

stev32k
15 years ago

I have two identical parks whopper tomato plants planted 42" apart. The plants were purchased from the same store at the same time and were planted at the same time. Both have been watered and fertilized the same. I'll call them east and west.

Early in the season about 95% of the tomatoes on the west plant had blossom end rot - the east plant had none.

Now none of them have blossom end rot, but about 50% of the tomatoes on the west plant have severe splitting and about half are misshapen - the east plant has none of these problems.

Tomatoes on the west plant get no bigger than a tennis ball. The east plant produces about twice as many and they are mostly the size of a grapefruit.

Both plants are about the same height and both look healthy. The leaves are a healthy looking green and there are no problems with the stems. There are no problems with insects or disease on either plant. I can't tell any difference in the taste of the tomatoes and they seem to have about the same ratio of flesh to liquid.

I just can't come up any good explanation for all the differences in the two. Any ideas?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus