SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19690609

Tomatoe planning for Phoenix AZ?

User
14 years ago

Considering my needs for next year, I need help with varieties for Phoenix AZ. Who is growing what?

Realistically, I can transplant tomatoes to outdoors in early February without much risk. They'll be small enough to protect easily.

What I want (red ones, please, with lots of nice tomato flavor):

A: One very early, very abundant 1-crop type for making slow-roasted and dried tomatoes. I want it grown, harvested, processed, and gone before the heat hits. If I interplant them with the Okra or eggplant they'll free up the space needed by the other plants when I yank them out.

B: One long-bearing, heat tolerant variety for use in summer cooking and salads. The big-box Romas I am growing are OK, we like paste types even for eating, but if there's something that can handle the heat better with less BER, I'd like to know.

C: Cherry tomato for salads that can handle hot dry conditions. Matt's Wild Cherry handles the heat, but the skins rip and then it shrivels. Is "Punta Brava" from Baja any better? Anything that ripens one cluster evenly (Matt's takes a couple of weeks per cluster, so picking and re-picking is an issue).

Comment (1)