SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbdbean

Eggs Abandoned, Mother Found Dead. Help!

jbdbean
12 years ago

I have been observing a Bewick's Wren in my backyard since April 8, 2011. Today is May 9th. She has been building her nest inside of my barbecue. Flying in and out day after day since then. I heard they were pretty rare on the east coast so I did not disturb her for using my barbecue as a home. She was indeed a treat to see on a daily basis : )

Now the sad part unfortunately. I was telling my young curious son this morning all about the bird that made her home in our barbecue. He was soo excited till I looked down and to my surprise I saw her dead on the ground right next to the barbecue (I did not let my son see that part). I was soooo saddened to find her there. All of this time I have never disturbed her or looked at her nest but once and that was to get our barbecue ready for summer to be surprised to see a nest there inside and since I had seen that she had unfortunately passed away I then went to look inside at her nest and to my surprise once again I was looking at 5 spotted little eggs nestled so sweetly in the most beautifully woven circler nest made of sticks and grasses. I forgot to mention that this whole time watching her I thought she was a HE building the nest for a possible mate to attract. To my surprise : ) Now my problem is the eggs. I did not want to just leave them there to possibly die so I brought the whole nest inside my home placed them gently into a container and I took a heating pad on warm not even low underneath to keep the eggs warm till I can get them to a wildlife rehabilitation center but I know I may be too late but at least I tried especially for the mother Wren. I figured it was the least I could do. Now I have successfully raised Lovebirds and Finches before from eggs so I have gone that route with these Lil guys. Hopefully to save them till I could get more help. All in all I'm just sad about the whole thing and wish I could do more. If anyone has any advice on abandoned eggs I'd greatly appreciate it. As far as I know from the last time I saw the mother alive I think the eggs were only left alone about a day or 2 and hopefully she has not started to incubate them yet. I apologize if my grammar and/or wording is off it's late, I'm tired and I'm up with my baby waiting for him to head off to lala land : ) Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County